Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Im thinking of taking up bartending....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just cutting and pasting my reply to the last guy who asked the question:

You will have a really tough time getting a decent job unless you are a big Abercrombie type guy. Most of the popular and high-end places hire based almost entirely on looks.

There is no such thing as a "bartending license." These courses will teath you how to make drinks and be a good bartender but the certification is useless in helping you to find a job. Again, you will have a lot of trouble finding a job unless you have big [censored] or are a big meathead guy.

I worked as a bartender for about a year in a private club (a club for rich people, not the fun kind). If you really want to work as a bartender, concentrate on golf clubs, non-trendy restaurants, college bars, etc.

Working as a barback can help you get a job but can often hurt your prospects. Barbacks are promoted only rarely because, while there is an unending supply of qualified bartenders, a good barback is much harder to find, especially if you know the place and its system.

PM me if you want more info RE bartending school and the job market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you live in LA? I disagree with you about the barback thing, as most of the people I know who bartend started there, but it may be true in bigger cities like LA or NYC.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:52 PM

OP, what type of jobs could be possibly be open to you? Do you have any connections with a good gig?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing you live in LA? I disagree with you about the barback thing, as most of the people I know who bartend started there, but it may be true in bigger cities like LA or NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I made barbacking sound like some awful dead-end job, which it isn't. I certainly know people who got their starts as barbacks. I just want people to realize that it isn't the fast-track to a real bartending job they might think it is (though admittedly this is all from talking to other people). A lot of people think "I'll do a really good job and then the boss will make me a bartender in a couple weeks." You may eventually get promoted, but you're most likely going to have to deal with the frustration of seeing less qualified people from the outside hired first. As I said, there's a glut of qualified bartenders, but there are far fewer good barbacks.

OP, in case you're basing your decision on the movie Cocktail, I can tell you that most of the time, bartending has nothing to do with entering into homoerotic mentorships with Australians. Sorry.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 AM

I've done it for the past 2 years and I'm ready to get out. 20 years old and heading back to school like I should.

I imagine it would be easier working at a high end place. Only having 5-10 customers at a time, making expensive drinks. But when your bar is 60 feet long and you have to worry about your whole bar plus making drinks for the floor, it gets pretty stressful.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:22 AM

Thanks for all the info.

I got a friend who's got conections in the restaurant business. He said he could help me find a job. The school I was looking at says they have job placement too. I wanted to look into the schooling just to get a basic feel for the job before I start somewhere, as I dont have any experience in the field.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those bartending school classes are a bit of a joke with most people I know and work with. As in, having gone to one won't really help you get a job bartending.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Those courses are absolutely worthless. You can get behind a bar and learn as you go.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you're saying that if i walk into place and say i want to be a bartender, the school isn't going to help my odds at all? i would feel pretty dumb saying that i had NO experience.

bartending seems like a cool job to make some extra cash, have fun while you do it, and make some great connections.

anyone want to elaborate on the fringe benefits?

edit: anyone know of any hook-ups around the peninsula for a clown w/ no experience?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The school I was looking at says they have job placement too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hahaha. Job placement = giving you a few sheets of paper with the names and addresses of establishments that are not hiring bartenders. Remember, these schools produce more graduates per week than there are available jobs.

I not knocking bartending schools--they're great for teaching you the skills and getting you comfortable behind the bar, but they're useless for finding a job. Most managers would rather hire a clueless hot chick than a genuine certified bartending school graduate.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most managers would rather hire a clueless hot chick than a genuine certified bartending school graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess this makes perfect sense to me. gotcha.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 AM

For those that are bartenders, how many "core" drinks are there that you make repeatedly - about 15 - 20? What's the most popular mixed drink where you work?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats up guys,

Im thinking of going to bartending school. Anyone else have experence with this and/or bartending in general? What should I expect? How easy is it to find a job after completing the course?

ac.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never took the course, just the barcode exam. Meaning I am legally able to serve alcohol. I tended bar for a short while at an Italian joint a few years ago. I liked it. Wish I had taken the course. But it's not needed if you get a drink book. Most people order easy things...but if you work in a real busy bar you'll get people ordering weird stuff. Take it, it should be fun, and you could probably find a job somewhere relatively easy. Albeit, I'm a chick and everyone loves a cute chick bartender.