Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 PM

Default Re: how fast is 1.5Mbps

[ QUOTE ]
I'm happy to pay the $190/mo for that kind of speed...

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this referring to? I'm only paying $55/month.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of weak...FIOS TOS really sucks balls. You basically can't upload anything but HTTP responses.

Great for download....worst service on Earth for anything else. And yes...I'm jealous and I'd sign up for it if it hit my block cause I don't do the p2p crap and my hosting is done elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This better not slow down my VPNs. I work from home sometimes and I usually have multiple remote desktops open. The whole reason I got it was for the 5 Mbs upload speed. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this referring to? I'm only paying $55/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going from this http://www22.verizon.com/content/con...and+prices.htm
Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are referring to Verizon FIOS, you'll never notice that kind of speed playing poker or downloading on most clients. They only let you download so fast, 30Mbps down is sort of like having a Lamborgini in a school zone. Unless you're doing extensive web hosting or other heavily bandwith hungry transferring, $190/mo. for a personal internet connection is an utter waste.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:50 PM

http://www22.verizon.com/content/con...and+prices.htm

That says $55/ month as well. Am I missing something?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sad. FiOS isn't available at my house yet, but my friend a ½ mile from me has it...

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true then you could have it very soon. As a matter of fact I've heard of groups of people that live near by calling and requesting FIOS every day for a few weeks. In a lot of instances that's all it took for Verizon to come out and continue the fiber line. If they see a great deal of interest in an area, they will certainly run the line as long as it legal for them to.

The CR I dealt with told me that many people can enter their address in the system and FIOS services will come up as not available, when in fact they PHYSICALLY are available. The main drawback she said was updating the system. In fact, my address came up as unavailable for weeks. I called the FIOS dept. everyday and told them that my house wasn't rural and plenty of people near me had FIOS service and I felt that I should have it to. It took 3 weeks of calls but they are installing it on Tuesday. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

If you know for a fact you have a FIOS line that close, I would start hounding them. You could have it in less than a month.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are referring to Verizon FIOS, you'll never notice that kind of speed playing poker or downloading on most clients. They only let you download so fast, 30Mbps down is sort of like having a Lamborgini in a school zone. Unless you're doing extensive web hosting or other heavily bandwith hungry transferring, $190/mo. for a personal internet connection is an utter waste.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are referring to the upload limitations of the various sites people visit. But I guarantee you that if I connect to a large government server, or something like Microsoft's servers, my connection will be noticeably faster than Verizon's 15/2 connection. At least it better be [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I will be testing the connection once its up and running using my workplace connection. We have a full duplex 20/20 line at work, so I know the upload speed won't be a problem. I can easily download files at 3.5 - 5 MB/sec during the day at work, and that's pretty fast. I should see the same or better results with my Verizon connection.
I'll let ya'll know the results.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of weak...FIOS TOS really sucks balls. You basically can't upload anything but HTTP responses.

Great for download....worst service on Earth for anything else. And yes...I'm jealous and I'd sign up for it if it hit my block cause I don't do the p2p crap and my hosting is done elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

This better not slow down my VPNs. I work from home sometimes and I usually have multiple remote desktops open. The whole reason I got it was for the 5 Mbs upload speed. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you should be all right on VPN access...my main gripe is their insanely restrictive Terms of Service/Acceptable Use Policies (TOS/AUP). A VPN connection to your office from what I remember is still within their TOS/AUP so you should be fine [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't like the way FIOS has been marketed thus far...you can't run any servers whatsoever and even though they claim you have <x> bandwidth for uploads....if you actually USE it for anything other than checking the weather and sending TCP ACK's to pr0n sites, they'll likely flag you for abuse.

As long as you're using a VPN CLIENT to connect to work, you should be fine (which is almost certainly the case, fortunately). If you're running a VPN SERVER and reverse-connecting.....or connect TO home from the office via Remote Desktop, then you'll be in violation of their TOS/AUP and risk being shut off. Don't even think of firing up a torrent or running any other p2p garbage....don't set up a VNC or RD or SSH server, forget completely running any web, FTP/FSP servers, DNS server would be a no-no, you can't run a mail server, heck...you can't even set up a 'nix box to serve as a secure proxy for encrypted web browsing from a public WiFi hotspot. FIOS has the most restrictive Terms Of Service I've seen in any consumer grade broadband connection ever.

If you stay within the TOS/AUP tho, it's a kickass deal for the speed and money.

I moved away from an area that was getting FIOS earlier this year. Now, I'm in a Bellsouth monstropoly and they decided to run fiber to the DSLAMS and not the whole way to the end user....bastards. I like what Verizon is doing from a tech standpoint...but their TOS/AUP is exceptionally nitty. I don't like what BellSouth has done with their infrastructure. There's only so much you can do with copper and in a few years (or a few few years) they'll have to restructure...again.

(edited for (hopefully) more clarity on some abbreviations)
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www22.verizon.com/content/con...and+prices.htm

That says $55/ month as well. Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

weird... it says 179.95 for me for the 30/5
Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 AM

BP,

Hopefully a lot of these restrictions are due to the service being relatively young. Maybe once the whole network is in place they'll remove some of these limitations.