Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Turn play and your opinion?

Checking behind the turn to call the river is awful. You let him check twice with his worse pairs, check/fold his draws when he misses the river and value bet better hands.

The time to check behind the turn and call the river is when you are in a WA/WB situation and expect WB hands to fold a lot. Here neither of those things is true.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking behind the turn to call the river is awful. You let him check twice with his worse pairs, check/fold his draws when he misses the river and value bet better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so simple against aggro opp. If we check the turn we expect him to bet the river with a busted draw. If he does that checking is better against a draw. If we bet we win 1bb when we hold up and lose 2 if he draw out. Checking wins the same when we hold up, but lose only 1bb if he draw out. We can have some hopes he bets a smaller pair on the river.

Also a check removes the threat of an expensive CR. If he is capable of raising both draws and made hands (assuming he is aggro) we are in trouble. If we fold it might have cost us the pot. If we call down we could easily lose 2 extra bets.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM

what i got out of op's post was that we have a decent hand, villain is bad/overaggro, let's get his monies. i feel like once the board gets a bit scary that keeping the pot smaller and not putting ourselves to a tough zany decision if we can avoid it( like 3bet/fold to a cap or something), and getting to showdown was a decent line. maybe that's nl thinking.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Your read doesn't sugggest that he's crazy aggressive postflop. I think you can fold.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not so simple against aggro opp. If we check the turn we expect him to bet the river with a busted draw. If he does that checking is better against a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's neutral if he tries to c/r a rivered monster, or if you can get away from the river if he donks when the draw comes in. UNLESS you are willing to check behind and fold some river cards, but that's not checking behind to call the river, that's checking to reevaluate on the river.

[ QUOTE ]
We can have some hopes he bets a smaller pair on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't checking misses a bet. Unless you're going to bet if he checks twice.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 AM

Likes to 3bet + bet pairs + likes to call down = u r beaten, fold turn.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 AM

Basher: So unless we intend to do this job in Reno, we're in barney.
[everyone pauses]
Basher: Barney Rubble.
[they look bewildered]
Basher: Trouble!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 PM

So villain was 52/34/1.4 and had done some spewy things like the aforementioned 42o hand. I was Hero in this hand and on the turn chose to bet/call down for value rather than check behind and call a river bet, possibly betting if he checked again.

Villain checked the river and I checked behind and his K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was no good. I wondered if he would've called a river bet, and moved on to the next hand.

Also, the hand was 30/60.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So villain was 52/34/1.4 and had done some spewy things like the aforementioned 42o hand. I was Hero in this hand and on the turn chose to bet/call down for value rather than check behind and call a river bet, possibly betting if he checked again.

Villain checked the river and I checked behind and his K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] was no good. I wondered if he would've called a river bet, and moved on to the next hand.

Also, the hand was 30/60.

[/ QUOTE ]

results oriented?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:36 PM

well if that and J9cc are the worst hands he's check raisng then the turn is still a fold. also the description in the op is pretty misleading and also a good example of why it helps to see the stakes.