Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2006, 03:50 AM

Default Re: question for MSNL players (from a SSNL player)

Game selection is the most overrated "skill" that I've heard of.

I've never actively looked for easy tables and have stayed and played in many 3 handed situations against 2 players who I thought I was at best neutral ev against.

I have maintained winrates competitive with the best players at the level and my game has benefitted from being challenged.

There is a point where game selection/$$ becomes more important than improving your game, and while this is of course based on the individual I would say that it probably starts at 10/20. Don't worry about it when you're moving up to midstakes.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've never actively looked for easy tables and have stayed and played in many 3 handed situations against 2 players who I thought I was at best neutral ev against.

I have maintained winrates competitive with the best players at the level and my game has benefitted from being challenged.

There is a point where game selection/$$ becomes more important than improving your game, and while this is of course based on the individual I would say that it probably starts at 10/20. Don't worry about it when you're moving up to midstakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it's good to play against tough players to improve your game, but playing against good players consistently when you have better games available is silly. If you think you have a big edge over them then that's a different story, but if you think your edge is neutral or slightly +EV then it really doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bit misleading.

Picking bad players to play with and sitting with them on your right is the single biggest thing you can do you make money in NLHE. assuming you have some techinical competence in the game.

in the long term, sure, playing with good/better players who don't have much of an ev advantage vs. you will improve your game, but it can be an expensive way to get better.

and just because you have done it successfully doesn't mean others can. if you've demonstrated winratres comparable to best players at your level then you are one of the best players at that level -- but people who follow your advice won't necessarily be.

-g
Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 AM

Having position on the fish (edit: referring to them sitting directly to your right) doesn't mean nearly as much in NL as it does in limit. In fact, I'd often prefer to have the TAG regulars to my right and the fish on my left. That way I'm not getting threebet lightly preflop and I'm frequently attacking the blinds of the fish.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:11 AM

When I moved up my game remained the same: 23/14/3. The only difference was that I tried to play like all the hands that were posted in MSNL. It took me a little while to realize that the hands posted are usually the exceptions. I was 3 betting LAGs like it was going out of style, making ridiculous bluffs, etc....I was trying too hard to play poker and got away from the most important fundamentals of poker: position, knowing who will fold, etc.... I dropped back down and plan on moving back up in a week or so and play the exact same way I play at 200NL. If you are beating 200NL for a nice winrate (8 ptBB/100+), you really should have no problem moving up to 400NL as long as you don't try too hard.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think valuebetting is the most important skill to have at 400nl apart from normal stuff like not being a gay nit and knowing when/who to 3bet

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i was focusing on the thin aspect when i said "less important". valuebetting is indeed important. also, most nits can win a decent amount at mid-stakes, not sure about the gay ones though.

[/ QUOTE ]if youre a nit then table selection is going to be a lot more important i imagine
Old 11-05-2006, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you like money then table selection is going to be a lot more important i imagine

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Regardless of what limit you play, if you practice good talbe selection (sitting with calling stations and maniacs), playing a nit style is probably the most profitable. The villans I'm talking about and target are those that are like 55/2/.08 or 55/33/4.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM

Easy money or Hard money.........LOL....who chooses hard money really!!!!
Old 11-05-2006, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
if you are a super duper poker player, fine. but your advice is trash.