Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2006, 03:04 PM

Default Re: poker dvd\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Lederer's Fantasy Poker Camp dvd has some good information on growing as a player,

[/ QUOTE ]

The reviews on Amazon state this is an info commercial for the camp and all the actual content is edited out.
You sure about this one?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I meant the Annie Duke advanced dvd, playing with the big boys. Her information on tells was really good, as well as her methods of dealing with a maniac

[/ QUOTE ]

On second thought...
*COUGH*
No one should buy this DVD, it should be banned, you won't learn anything... please if you sit at a table with me let me know if you've seen it, we need to talk!!!

Yea.. just kidding but its the best single DVD that I've seen. Maybe there are better, but I was shocked at how good this one was.... I thought it would be fluff and it was far from fluff...
Old 10-31-2006, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lederer's Fantasy Poker Camp dvd has some good information on growing as a player,

[/ QUOTE ]

The reviews on Amazon state this is an info commercial for the camp and all the actual content is edited out.
You sure about this one?

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually strega, I wrote one of those reviews. Notice I did mention it does not include anything on poker strategy on the DVDs. It is a 2-dvd set and in disc one is all Lederer for the most part. Disc 2 is numerous people talking, including Phil Gordon, Gus Hansen, Annie Duke, Hoaward Schwartz, Annie and Howard's father---but it is all cleverly edited so they are not giving any of the "good" stuff out on the DVD. What was really great about the dvd and where the quality came was on the first dvd. Don't get me wrong, the second dvd was okay, but if you expect strategy, you'd be disappointed. Ferguson talks about the growth of internet poker. Hansen talks a little about his crazy playing style, Annie talks about being a woman player, Gordon talks a little about teaching the celebrities to play poker. It's not too bad to watch for entertainment, but if you expect them to be teaching you game skills, you'd be terribly disappointed. You might even feel the dvds are propaganda to make you want to go to the poker camp and get the real stuff. I understand that viewpoint--but the dvd still offers a lot just based on Lederer's information.

On disc 1, Howard gives one speech on how he became a poker player and how he met those guys like Harrington, Seidel, etc and they began playing everyday for hours and hours. His second speech was discussing the elements he believed make a person a great player. Here, he goes step by step over several aspects of the game that make a player reach their full potential. This information has been more and more helpful and encouraging to me over time. Also note I got the dvd for like $5 on the amazon marketplace. I would never pay $20 or whatever they are charging for it. I think it is selling these days for $5-6 on amazon marketplace, which is a steal.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:55 AM

how are the world poker conference dvd's???
Old 11-13-2006, 10:35 PM

Annie Duke's Dvd Playing With the Big Boys has some great information on tells that aren't in Caro's book (but I think are covered in Read'em an Reap).
I also Like Phil Gordon's DVD. He tells you what he is thinking as every hand progresses and what to watch for. Very helpful for a newer player.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM

I like Ed Miller's limit DVD set that I've been watching. But when I look at my notes from a disk, there aren't that many. Oral presentation is a very inefficient way of communicating most things -- the books give you far more for your time and money. The strength of the DVD is that having the visuals accompany discussions of hands is very helpful.