Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: what do you usually think first?
it was probably an honest mistake/my fault 31 54.39%
someone's f*cking with me 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Just saw SAW III. *Spoilers*

Yeah some reviews on the IMDB made this sound good. Went last night with some buddies and it was just bad. Waste of money/time.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have not seen saw, but would i be wrong to conclude that you are a sadist?

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all. I cringe rather easily. As someone who just generally likes film I've seen plenty of movies that include sadism like Miike's "Audition" (wiki it if you're unfamililar) and I have trouble watching that kind of stuff (as a nice preview, the girl paralyzes an unsuspecting and completely innocent man and saws off his foot (slowly) with piano wire). Saw's the only movie of that type among my favourites. I'd consider my tastes normal, a lot of my favourites are the critically acclaimed films: The Shawshank Redemption, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, GoodFellas etc.

That said, it's a lack of understanding that leads people to believe that the Saw movies are about some kind of sick fascination of torture and death and gore. That's not the main theme of the Saw movies. It's about appreciation of life.
Consider, in the first movie, the man who Jigsaw met in the hospital. He had a wife, kids, and a good job, yet he had tried to commit suicide by slitting his wrists. His trap, then, was to be left in a basement where all he had to do to die was sit there and wait. If he wanted to live he had to crawl through razor wire, and what choice did he make?

That's the main aspect of the films I like. After watching the first Saw, I thought about the fact that I'd recently tried to commit suicide as well, and yet I had a family, a nice house, food to eat, money to spend, friends...
It made me think, and that's what a good movie does.

Sickos who watch the movie are probably all fired up with Jigsaw's traps. A psycho would probably idolise him, whereas the normal viewer like me hates him but finds it fascinating to try to understand him.

Hope that clears up my opinions on the film, damn this was a long post.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:54 PM

It was entertaining I guess. Doesn't belong anywhere near a top movies list. I was very unhappy with the crappy ending. I probably won't ever watch it again.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM

So basically you loved it because you can relate to it.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
disagree with the detractors. it was a great movie. Saw I was pretty good, Saw 2 was great and 3 was fantastic. The Saw series is in my top ten favourite movies, and I have seen a ridiculous number (including almost all of the imdb top 250)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're trying to argue that seeing a lot of movies makes you qualified to rank films. Is this the case?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM

in a strange way, yes. i can't relate to the serial killer, though. that would be bad. lol
Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
disagree with the detractors. it was a great movie. Saw I was pretty good, Saw 2 was great and 3 was fantastic. The Saw series is in my top ten favourite movies, and I have seen a ridiculous number (including almost all of the imdb top 250)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're trying to argue that seeing a lot of movies makes you qualified to rank films. Is this the case?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke. I think he's just saying he's seen significantly more than 10 movies, so putting Saw in his top 10 means he really likes it.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in a strange way, yes. i can't relate to the serial killer, though. that would be bad. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That works for you, but I don't think that most can relate to it, I don't think you could rate it a great movie with out a connection like that.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now, be logical. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not "qualified" to rank films. Ebert and Roeper are qualified to rank films. I'm just saying I've seen a lot of movies including the ones that are supposed to be "the best" (imdb's top 250 is probably the best list for taking a consensus of people's favourites) and it's among my favourites. In 10 years, that probably won't be so, admittedly. I've seen all 3 within the past year, so they're new to me right now. I'm just saying I've seen a lot of good movies and they're some of my favourites, take from that what you want.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:05 PM

i donno how i feel abot these movies, i think they are all pretty bad but some what entertaining. compared to a regular horror movie i think the saw series is much much better.