Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 11:37 AM

Default Re: [5/10] Check to Induce, Whiff, Value Bet

I you bet the turn and river, villain is getting over 3:1 to call down with a pocket pair. If this player opens from MP2 with hands like 55-99 then he is calling this down.

Betting the turn seems pretty safe here since you have the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and a semi-bluff is very unlikely. Problem is if you are behind and get raised you have to call. So this is a classic checking with outs.

As for betting the river...this one can go either way. If he was sitting on a c-r on the turn, not many a player would try it again on the river. The only hand we might get to fold is AQ. The only hands that might call for value are AJ/AT?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:06 PM

I dont think it is out of the question that an unknown could be opening with any of the following hands: AT,AJ,A9s,A8s,QJs,JTs.

These are all hands that can overtake you with a free card and hands that may fold to a bet on the turn. There is also the very slim chance that an unknown will fold a pocket pair here.

If you had a good read on villians opening range then a check behind may make more sense but without any read I think you need to take the standard semi bluff line here.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think it is out of the question that an unknown could be opening with any of the following hands: AT,AJ,A9s,A8s,QJs,JTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of those hands have 2-3 outs, except JTs which has 4 outs unless it's J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Such hands are at least as likely to improve to a second-best hand as they are to improve to a better hand, so the question is do the bluffs I snap off by calling a river bluff make up for the occasions I let him win.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All of those hands have 2-3 outs, except JTs which has 4 outs unless it's J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Such hands are at least as likely to improve to a second-best hand as they are to improve to a better hand, so the question is do the bluffs I snap off by calling a river bluff make up for the occasions I let him win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this line also avoids getting check/raised, guarantees a sd and saves 1BB when villain decides to check/call the river with a PP (this is assuming you do not try to valuebet the river).
Old 10-29-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so the question is do the bluffs I snap off by calling a river bluff make up for the occasions I let him win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I dont particularly like this line against an unknown as you have no indication of whether he will bluff at you when he misses.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it till you bet the river. The % of his range that you beat when he calls is very small.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the K on the turn prevents this from being a good value bet. With a low board, you could expect him to call with a smaller A, but I think he would just fold it here.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so the question is do the bluffs I snap off by calling a river bluff make up for the occasions I let him win.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I dont particularly like this line against an unknown as you have no indication of whether he will bluff at you when he misses.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't mean we can't make reasonable estimations of what % of 5/10 players bet the river here.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the K on the turn prevents this from being a good value bet. With a low board, you could expect him to call with a smaller A, but I think he would just fold it here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I should do this against an unknown anyway, but I certainly wouldn't do it if the K hadn't turned. AK becomes way more likely in that case.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I should do this against an unknown anyway, but I certainly wouldn't do it if the K hadn't turned. AK becomes way more likely in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, on the other hand I would have bet the turn if the K hadn't showed up.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I'm seeing your line of thinking here. Still, you have to remember that you must beat him at least 50% of the time he calls your bet. I guess there's also some intangible value of not having to show your cards. I guess this value bet really depends on what you think of a typical unknown on this site at these limits. Personally, I can't see even the worst opponents calling with AJ or less.