Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Studio 60 - Episode 6 (10/23/06)

[ QUOTE ]
Sorkin

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The show is just so unbelievably self-important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it really that unbelievable?
Old 10-24-2006, 02:10 PM

I love the show, and am disappointed that it's not pulling in better ratings and what not. Does anyone know why it's not on Next Monday? Friday Night Lights is on at 10 instead.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the show, and am disappointed that it's not pulling in better ratings and what not. Does anyone know why it's not on Next Monday? Friday Night Lights is on at 10 instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ratings - 2nd lowest rated episode of the season, A18-49 3.2

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a permanent scheduling change, it's a pretty good idea. FNL would benefit, seems much more compatible with Heroes (which, incidentally, pulled in a 6.2 A18-49 last night, season high).

-Al
Old 10-24-2006, 02:24 PM

The whole story line with D.L. was borderline offensive. One thing that really bothers me about Sorkin, is he writes female and minority characters like a typical rich white liberal (and this is comming from a self-proclaimed liberal).

"I came from SC, I owe it to my roots to bring up every young brotha i can"...for [censored] sake!!! DL officially can't act, and he's already the token black guy. Laughable.

The idea had promise, and the point was valid, but it's delivery was so off the mark that the baby simply fell flat on the floor. I'll still watch though...

The old hollywood line was also one that had promise (reminds me of classic West Wing) but also fell flat. It was as if he really didn't care for the nostalgia, so he half-assed the story arc and it came through as uninterested. This whole show really feels like a writer who works extra hard to make up for a lack of talent and who is trying desparately to emulate classic Sorkin.

edit:

for a far superior example of the old hollywood story arc, check out "In Excelsis Deo" in the West Wings first season. THAT is how you write nostalgia.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If this is a permanent scheduling change, it's a pretty good idea. FNL would benefit, seems much more compatible with Heroes (which, incidentally, pulled in a 6.2 A18-49 last night, season high).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I dont understand Hollywood, but why would you put a show with the basic backdrop being football up against Monday night football? I realize there's more to the show than that, but I'm certain if it football wasnt the backdrop I probably wouldnt have started watching it.

I think most of the big shows are in reruns the next two weeks before sweeps, so its not surprising that S60 is not on next week.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:41 PM

WLVYRN - if FNL moves to 10pm, it's not up against MNF in the whole country, just EST. Just my first thought that it might do better behind Heroes. And Studio 60 is losing so much of the Heroes audience, and FNL is not doin well on Tuesday, thought it wasn't a bad move.

Sweeps starts next Thursday, not in 2 weeks.

-Al
Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 PM

The "I'm a writer"/"What does that mean?" exchange between Chandler and the dark little girl happened three too many times.

WWII thing was gay, but the old guy put in a good performance.

D.L. Hughley and Harriet suck hard.

Amanda Peet is great. Chandler and that booger from West Wing are pretty good. The three of them keep me watching I guess.

"The pyramids in Egypt - which were built by slaves, by the way." [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2006, 02:59 PM

There was no preview at the end of the show saying tune in next week, or even in two weeks or on a different night or whatever. I haven't heard anything about it being cancelled, so it's probably on hiatus for sweeps month, which typically happens to low rated shows.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was no preview at the end of the show saying tune in next week, or even in two weeks or on a different night or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there was. They said, "tune in 2 weeks from now for all new episodes of Studio 60."

I thought this episode was phenomenal. Saddened to see all the hate here. It was a show about the history of comedy -- a bold subject that was handled with a lot of care. It went from Abbot & Costello to the blacklist period to the minstrel crap of current black comedy (and its sad state) to the potential for bracing new intelligent comedy.

The first black comedian DL and Perry saw was rightfully awful. The one they hired was interesting but not great, and it's a telling line that Perry says "he needs discipline." I think Sorkin and his writing staff will mold that character so he gets better and better over the series.

Anyway, the history through-line was pretty awesome for me, especially since it dove-tailed with the Nate Corddry character's relationship with his father. Just as the new brand of writers are reverent of their artistic heritage, this kid is reverent of his parental influence -- despite its flaws.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:17 PM

This was my favorite episode so far. I'm a sap though. I liked the old guy alot and I enjoyed the trip to the improv. Steven Webber was solid and I liked the thing with Whitford. I was pretty much expecting the baseball player to give her a phone number as soon as she started looking for the baseball. I've seen some pretty confident people get really insecure when they are getting beat on from all ends. I think Peet might have overplayed it a bit.

Overall this was the best episode since the pilot. Of course it was missing a lot of Mandy, I mean Harriet and had no skits.