Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2006, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Party 750k Hand - KK on Button w/ action in front

[ QUOTE ]

Starting stacks are 2500, and this is a 500$ tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting stacks yesterday were 1500 and it was 350+28 tourney. Maybe you are thinking of the PS one?

Anyway, I would push here and hope to get called by a smaller pair.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was assuming a starting stack of 1500. With 2500 calling or, re-raising a smaller amount is better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-30-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Starting stacks are 2500, and this is a 500$ tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting stacks yesterday were 1500 and it was 350+28 tourney. Maybe you are thinking of the PS one?

Anyway, I would push here and hope to get called by a smaller pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ahhh, yes i was thinking of stars. In this case push all in
Old 01-30-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Party 750k Hand - KK on Button w/ action in front - part 2

Hand update:

Hero decides to call.

Blinds fold, UTG raiser folds, UTG+1 folds.

MP1 pushes all-in (!)

MP2 calls all-in.

Hero??

So now this is starting to look like a $5R ;-)

What range do you put these guys on? Does the fact that this is the 750k and not a $10/$20 enter into your thinking?
Can you lay down here?

HC
Old 01-30-2006, 05:10 PM

Holy jeez, that got interesting. Uh, if ever in my life I could fold KK preflop, this might be the spot. MP1 might be just trying to steal. I bet he has AK. MP2 has shown extreme strength twice. If he doesn't have AA, he's got a deathwish. I think...jeez...I think I might actually fold here. Maybe. Probably not. But I'm an idiot. I don't know. If I folded, I'd be sobbing while I did it.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy jeez, that got interesting. Uh, if ever in my life I could fold KK preflop, this might be the spot. MP1 might be just trying to steal. I bet he has AK. MP2 has shown extreme strength twice. If he doesn't have AA, he's got a deathwish. I think...jeez...I think I might actually fold here. Maybe. Probably not. But I'm an idiot. I don't know. If I folded, I'd be sobbing while I did it.

[/ QUOTE ]
In addition, if you find a fold, do yourself a favor and turn away from the computer, delete the HH from your hard drive, and resume playing without the knowledge that you folded KK to 2 donks going nuts with AJ and QQ.

Or that they both had AA and you spiked a K.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:20 PM

I call and lose
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Party 750k Hand - KK on Button w/ action in front - results

So hero decides to lay down his KK.

Logic went something like this:

MP1 is making a donk play - either his donk play was overcalling originally w/ AA/KK or he's got a good hand he intended to take a flop with but can't justify it at this price and now mistakenly thinks he can take the pot down preflop by pushing into a guy that raised to 250 and another who called (perhaps a misapplication of a squeeze). Given the relative likelihood of the two mistakes hero isn't worried about MP1.

MP2 - he said he had a big hand when he raised the UTG raiser and overcallers (and w/ an amount that wasn't clearly discouraging action - the rr to 250 looked like he'd be OK w/ a caller or 2) and now he's saying: "my hand is still big".

Here's where the analysis gets interesting: "how big is big?" - in the tourneys he usually plays hero'd assume that despite the action there were a lot of things villian could still have other than AA and he'd instacall. But here he's thinking: "it's the fifth hand of a $350 buyin, what the hell else could he have?" and mucks.

MP1 tables A4s, MP2 tables JJ - flop comes blanks, turn an A, river blank and MP1 takes down a big pot (only to donk it off later in the first hour, but you knew that).

MP1s trash wasn't a total surprise although 88-TT was what we expected to see, MP2s JJ was a surprise and that's what triggered the discussion about appropriately adjusting our opponent ranges in the bigger tourneys - was this just an aberation (e.g., action from 2 SNG qualifiers) or are there enough of these guys still around early in the big tourneys that KK instacalls this action or even QQ?

Thanks for the responses,
HC
Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM

UTG 99-JJ, MP2 AK is my guess.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Party 750k Hand - KK on Button w/ action in front - results

[ QUOTE ]
Here's where the analysis gets interesting: "how big is big?" - in the tourneys he usually plays hero'd assume that despite the action there were a lot of things villian could still have other than AA and he'd instacall. But here he's thinking: "it's the fifth hand of a $350 buyin, what the hell else could he have?" and mucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that it's the 5th hand means it's even more likely you have far and away the best hand. Why? Because this early in the tournament is when the highest percentage of donks/satellite winners are present. Later in the tournament the percentage of donks decreases and this analysis has more merit.

This is one reason why he should have shoved with KK in the first place.