[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Otis Nixon played for the Mets

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: The Catch

legend,

You are out of your mind. Gary Mattews Jr's catch had every element you described Chavez's to have accept now had no vision of the ball/back to the ball and an awkward swipe angle to catch it b/c of the back to the ball meaning less pocket for the ball to actually go in...seriously watch the two again.

Chavez goes up, eyes on ball, great big pocket to work with, incredible catch that has happened a million times and will continue to happen over and over again. Matthews goes up, eyes not on the ball, takes a guess swipe and virtually no pocket to work with, and makes a lucky/incredible catch that most likely will never happen again.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
legend,

You are out of your mind. Gary Mattews Jr's catch had every element you described Chavez's to have accept now had no vision of the ball/back to the ball and an awkward swipe angle to catch it b/c of the back to the ball meaning less pocket for the ball to actually go in...seriously watch the two again.

Chavez goes up, eyes on ball, great big pocket to work with, incredible catch that has happened a million times and will continue to happen over and over again. Matthews goes up, eyes not on the ball, takes a guess swipe and virtually no pocket to work with, and makes a lucky/incredible catch that most likely will never happen again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but Matthews catch wasn't in a 1-1 tie during game 7. The 2 aren't even close. Face it, if the Mets win this game, the catch goes up there with Willie Mays catch.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know Dwight Clark played for the Mets

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know Willie Mays played for the 49ers.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:10 PM

Matt Williams,

The degree of difficulty doesn't go up because of the situation. Yes, well done Chavez...great catch and way to save the game at that moment but if the Mets win it still isn't a better catch than Matthews'.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:16 PM

For my money, the best catch I've ever seen
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 PM

You have a point re: the Matthews catch but it could also be argued that one of the reasons it was so spectacular is that he took a bad line to the ball and had to adjust mid-air.

Yes, we do see the over-the-fence catches fairly often (you couldn't have said dozens or hundreds instead of millions, though? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) but they're usually of two types. The Kirby Puckett type where the OF has enough time to get to the wall and then time a two-foot jump, and the Kenny Lofton/Otis Nixon type where the OF takes off from one foot on the run, maybe climbimg the wall to pull the ball back (the Matthews catch may be the greatest one of this type).

But the Chavez catch combined the two types- a running two-foot leap- which you rarely see, and may have been the only way that ball gets caught. I think it depends at what point you judge degree of difficulty.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:36 PM

The Chavez catch
Old 10-20-2006, 04:42 PM

Legend,

Matthews catch

[ QUOTE ]
the Matthews catch but it could also be argued that one of the reasons it was so spectacular is that he took a bad line to the ball and had to adjust mid-air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks to me like the ball was slicing off a left-handers bat and Matthews had to adjust much of the way to the fence. I don't see a bad route here.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matt Williams,

The degree of difficulty doesn't go up because of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I think it does.