Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you get caught cheating your whole BR should be confiscated.
Yes 265 69.37%
No 117 30.63%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Greatest Comic Book Movie of All Time - Final Four

I don't get it, shouldn't it be Sin City vs. Batman I and Batman Begins vs X2 based on the seedings?
Old 09-11-2006, 04:58 PM

This poll is definately messed up. Sin City was in group 1, Batman Begins group 2, Batman I in group 3, and X2 in group 4 so It should be group 1 vs group 4, and group 2 vs group 3. The top 2 groups should not be head to head in the final 4.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:05 PM

The two movies in the first poll are both way better than the ones in the second. Of those two it's close, but Sin City is better imo.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:06 PM

Also, for those of you who love Batman I, I suggest you watch it again rather than reminisce on how it made you feel 17 years ago. Batman I was incredibly cheesy and lacked any sort of character developement. I don't know which is worse, Keaton's "YOU WANT NUTS?!?!? LET'S GET NUTS!!!!!!!" line or Nicholson and his minions dancing around to Prince. Any movie with "minions" has to have points against it.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:07 PM

Eric:

Have you ever watched March Madness? The various groups aren't in relation to each other. There are four groups, each containing sixteen contestants that are seeded. Once the winners emerge from each group they play each other not according to seeding but according to how the bracket is set up. If it makes you happier we can name the groups by regions (midwest, west, south and east).

Swede
Old 09-11-2006, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eric:

Have you ever watched March Madness? The various groups aren't in relation to each other. There are four groups, each containing sixteen contestants that are seeded. Once the winners emerge from each group they play each other not according to seeding but according to how the bracket is set up. If it makes you happier we can name the groups by regions (midwest, west, south and east).

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the 4 groups themselves in this contest were seeded in itself the way it was set up. According to IMDB, Sin City has the higest rating so it was in group one so it was group 1's number on seed, and then I thought group 2's number seed was the 2nd overall highest ranking and so on.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:15 PM

I've seen Batman > 10x. It is quite over the top and stylized. That is part of why it is great. Batman Begins was boring and broody like an emo song. Spiderman was also great. Let's have a ticklefight if you don't agree.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eric:

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Swede, this poll actually was messed up. I do watch March Madness and I got this quote from Wiki:

[ QUOTE ]
Since 2002, the tournament has used the so-called "pod" system, in which the eight first- and second-round sites are distributed around the four regionals. Before the 2002 tournament, all teams playing at a first- or second-round site fed into the same regional tournament. The pod system was designed to limit the early-round travel of as many teams as possible.

In the pod system, each regional bracket is divided into four-team "pods". The possible pods by seeding are:

* Pod #1: 1v16, 8v9
* Pod #2: 2v15, 7v10
* Pod #3: 3v14, 6v11
* Pod #4: 4v13, 5v12

Each of the eight first- and second-round sites is assigned two pods, where each group of four teams play each other. A host site's pods may be from different regions, and thus the winners of each pod would advance into separate regional tournaments.

The first- and second-round games are played on the first weekend of the tournament, either on Thursday and Saturday or Friday and Sunday. The teams which are still alive after the first weekend advance to the regional semi-finals (the Sweet Sixteen) and finals (the Elite Eight) played on the second weekend of the tournament (again, the games are split into Thursday/Saturday and Friday/Sunday).

The winners of each region advance to the Final Four, where the national semifinals are played on Saturday and the national championship is played on Monday. Before the 2004 tournament, the pairings for the semifinals were based on an annual rotation. For example, in 2000, the winner of the West Regional played the winner of the Midwest regional, and the South winner played the East winner; in 2001, the West winner played the East winner and the South played the Midwest; in 2002, the West played the South and the East played the Midwest. Since 2004 and in response to complaints that too often the two best teams remaining squared off in a semifinal game and not in the final game (such as when the last two remaining 1 seeds, Kansas and Maryland, played in one semifinal while a 2 seed and a 5 seed played in the other semifinal), the pairings are determined by the ranking of the four top seeds against each other. The four number one seeds are ranked before the tournament begins: in 2006, Duke was the overall #1 seed, followed by Connecticut, Villanova and Memphis. Which regional winner is to face which other regional winner is determined based on this ranking. Had all of the #1 seeds reached the Final Four, Duke (from the South) would have played Memphis (from the West) and Connecticut (from the East) would have played Villanova (from the Midwest). As it happened, none of the #1 seeds made the Final Four in 2006, but the South winner (LSU) still played the West winner (UCLA) in a #2/#4 matchup, while the East (George Mason) played the Midwest (Florida) in a #11/#3 matchup.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in our case:

Pod 1: Sin City
Pod 2: Batman Begins
Pod 3: V for Vendetta
Pod 4: X2

So final four should have been Pod 1 vs Pod 4, and Pod 2 vs. Pod 3 otherwise, why even put the top 4 seeds in different groups/regions/pods in the first place? Since 3/4 top 4 seeds made it, this final four should have been:

Pod 1: Sin City vs Pod 4: X2

Pod 2 Batman Begins vs. Pod 3: Batman I
Old 09-11-2006, 05:25 PM

When I did the seedings I did look at IMDB. Both Sin City and Batman Begins received a user rating of 8.4. Neither of the other contestants got ratings this high, but that's not the point. Once each group determines a champ (the final four stage) these four are matched up according to a prior decision, they are not re-seeded based on their relative pre-tournament ranking. In my polls the prior decision is that the group one winner plays the group two winner and the group three winner plays the group four winner. The ultimate winner will still have to remain undefeated, whether that means facing the relatively better contestant in the semi-final round as opposed to the final round. It's all based on the March Madness format, and things seem to work just fine for those guys =)

Swede

Edited since I just saw your response. What can I say, I like the pre-2004 system.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:26 PM

Batman is clearly the best of its franchise, not to mention the best of these 4.