Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2006, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Deep Stack AK hand late, would you make this laydown?

I think this largely depends on the table. I really don't see a problem with folding it. You've got to figure the SB isn't going to want to mess with the one person capable of stacking him at the table without a really good hand, and he cold-called a 7.5BB raise. This hand would put you in a really difficult position postflop, as it would be hard to get away from an A or K-high flop. So, even though you are getting pot odds against anything but AA, you potentially put yourself in a very difficult position after the flop.

I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting until you're in a more favorable situation to get your chips in.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:36 AM

Call. But a fold isn't really all that bad.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:35 PM

That is the thing with calling this, what happens when the A or K hit on the flop? Talk about a really tough decision.

You bet out and then get someone coming over the top of you big, or you check and they bet out huge, now what.

In this situation with the two solid large stacks reraising and then calling, I don't see calling here. Basically, the best flop would be QJT and then your in heaven, but how often is that going to come.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2100 Deep Stack I am 2nd out of 20, 18 is money.

2000NL Mirage Poker Showdown, No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (6 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t70000) [Hero]
MP (t40000)
CO (t10000)
Button (t20000)
SB (t45000)
BB (t80000)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t7000</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB calls t5400</font>.

Flop: (t13550) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG bets t10000, <font color="#CC3333">BB calls t10000</font>.

Turn: (t180244) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>BB bets t10000, <font color="#CC3333">UTG calls t10000</font>.

River: (t180244) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> BB bets t53000 and is All-In, UTG will be using his time-bank for this hand. UTG folds.

Final Pot: t107800

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Gigabet is BB and owned you with 6s 3c.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 01-27-2006, 08:54 PM

well, that is interesting, but a totally different situation.

There is no way I lay down that hand there. If he has AQ so be it.

Why would you reraise big on that flop? Why did you never take control of this hand?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is the thing with calling this, what happens when the A or K hit on the flop? Talk about a really tough decision.

You bet out and then get someone coming over the top of you big, or you check and they bet out huge, now what.

In this situation with the two solid large stacks reraising and then calling, I don't see calling here. Basically, the best flop would be QJT and then your in heaven, but how often is that going to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

AAx or KKx on the flop probably doesn't make you too unhappy (let alone AAA or KKK, yeah right).

I think you need some spectacular read to lay down AK preflop with nearly 5:1 pot odds. There are only 2 possible hands left in the deck that are worse than a coin flip for you, you have 25% of the cards that make those hands.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:38 AM

re: 2nd hand

I think you've got to be willing to go to that wall with that hand. If he has AQ, QQ, or 22... you can't win 'em all.

Before I checked the results, I thought "Villain has the other AK?" Obviously that's how good my read was. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]