Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 PM

Default Re: why isn\'t Allen Cunningham an ftp \"name player\"?

[ QUOTE ]
I remember ESPN saying after Humberto Brenes got knocked out, that "The last poker pro, Humberto Brenes, has just been knocked out of the main event." Gah. I've always loved Allen and thought he was underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, very surprising statement given Cunningham's track record. I'd take him over most of the players in the Full Tilt elite status...he's awesome.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Berry Johnston
5 WSOP bracelets
Has cashed in more WSOP Main Events than any other player
Member of the Poker Hall of Fame
WSOP Main Event Champion 1986
Former best friend to Punky Brewster.
Once stuck in a refrigerator while playing hide and seek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/ QUOTE ]

Berry Johnston
Old 09-06-2006, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OTOH, and this may be where the question is coming from, Mike Matusow got "promoted" to the A-Team after his FT aired last year and the TOC win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is why I was wondering. iirc, MM was immediately on the front page of ftp with all the name players right after the main event was played last year.

I just assumed they would do the same for allen cunningham but I guess it's what the player would be comfortable promoting.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:18 PM

gilbert,

It's just a business deal. Some players once they get the exposure that lets them get a deal will jump at whatever FT offers. Other players will negotiate and hold out for better terms. Cunningham clearly has reached the level of success, exposure, and prominence that he could get a deal like some of these other folks if he wanted to.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:41 PM

Agreed. I always thought of Cunningham as being in the same league as Juanda, Ivey, and Negreanu.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I remember ESPN saying after Humberto Brenes got knocked out, that "The last poker pro, Humberto Brenes, has just been knocked out of the main event." Gah. I've always loved Allen and thought he was underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, very surprising statement given Cunningham's track record. I'd take him over most of the players in the Full Tilt elite status...he's awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

On ESPN's Main Event coverage, Humberto Brenes has yet to be knocked out, so I don't know where you got that quotation from. Also, ESPN has shown Allen Cunningham many times during their Main Event coverage and Norm and Lon often mention how he was the 2005 WSOP player of the year. He'll be heavily promoted as a pro's pro over the final episodes of the telecast.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
During the main event, I remember ESPN saying after Humberto Brenes got knocked out, that "The last poker pro, Humberto Brenes, has just been knocked out of the main event."

[/ QUOTE ]

Humberto Brenes is still alive in ESPN's coverage of the main event. He and his kooky shark antics will be featured in next weeks coverage.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gilbert,

It's just a business deal. Some players once they get the exposure that lets them get a deal will jump at whatever FT offers. Other players will negotiate and hold out for better terms. Cunningham clearly has reached the level of success, exposure, and prominence that he could get a deal like some of these other folks if he wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also it is worth mentionng the Cunningham was already a well known pro before the TV boom. I am usre he is able to hold out for the best possible deal. Some of the players that were added after the initial rollout of FTP were not in position to hold out for a great deal.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:42 PM

"Allen, you should play the joker in the next batman movie."

some railbird said that and i laughed. but it could make him more famous
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 PM

allen is so rich he doesnt need any money he plays for the for the win , or so im told, i have seen allen at full tilt and i do not think any of the regulars there never took him lightly. I dont think he is a ( lesser player ).