Easily.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything
Default Re: AL MVP Jeter

[ QUOTE ]
Jeter isn't gold glove caliber at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/dt/jeterde01.shtml

maybe almost deserved last year's. still one amazing turnaround to suddenly play learn to play good defense at age 30, after sucking for that many years.

[ QUOTE ]
How many intelligient analysts are there?

Side note:
Couple years back Tejada and Arod?

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not saying ortiz won't win it. but to say he is the best player in the league is ludicrous, and to say it is by a wide margin is just insane.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm not saying ortiz won't win it. but to say he is the best player in the league is ludicrous, and to say it is by a wide margin is just insane

[/ QUOTE ]

He's nowhere near the best player in the league but the award is Most Valuable Player not Best Player. As good as Jeter and some others are, without Ortiz the Red Sox would be lucky to finish third in the division this year, much less contend until last week. He's made more of a difference in his teams performance than anyone else in the league this year and for that reason deserves the award.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's made more of a difference in his teams performance than anyone else in the league this year and for that reason deserves the award.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 08-25-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big Papi has been that much better than everyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you poll the intelligent analysts, ortiz would not be on the top 3 of anyone's ballot. he might crack the top 5 of some.

AL batters by VORP

this doesn't consider defensive value. if you add that in, ortiz falls to eighth.

i'm not saying he won't win, because voters like to cream in their pants over clutch hitting and home runs. but he is nowhere near the best player in the league. he's not the best DH, not the best red sox, not even more valuable than johan santana.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's the most valuable player by a wide margin...if you didn't understand my original statement.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:32 AM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

[ QUOTE ]
He's the most valuable player by a wide margin...if you didn't understand my original statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, he isn't. there is no rational argument for ortiz as the 'most valuable' except "he gets a lot of clutch hits".

who has increased his team's chances of advancement the most in the AL? it sure as hell isn't ortiz, who has improved the sawks' chances of getting into the playoffs maybe from 2% to 11%, and their chances of winning the world series from, say, .25% to 1.5%. mauer (or santana for that matter) has probably single-handedly taken the twins from 10% to 45% to get into october.

now, if the red sox squeak into the playoffs by one game, you can use that argument (not that i agree with it) to vote for papi. but since they are currently very unlikely to get in there, ortiz will be hurt, not helped, by that argument.

i'm not going to bet on this, but i would fade ortiz if i did. he or the red sox need a huge september for him to win it.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:35 AM

I didn't wanna turn this into an internet cock waving contest, bet Mauer is pressed to be the third best player on his team.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't wanna turn this into an internet cock waving contest, bet Mauer is pressed to be the third best player on his team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Behind Santana and ?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't wanna turn this into an internet cock waving contest

[/ QUOTE ]

Won't your boyfriend be jealous?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jeter isn't gold glove caliber at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeter is a solid defensive player as opposed to big papi who might as well play in a wheelchair.

Lets look at it like this. Jeter can hit, can drive in runs, scores a ton of runs, can steal bases and runs the bases very well and is a very solid defensive player and a team leader on the probably AL EAST winning yanks.

Oritz is a big time power hitter who can drive in runs and is extremely clutch and a is a team leader. But he can't field, he can't steal bases, he is a liability on the base paths and is on a team that is sinking out of the playoff hunt.

While ortiz is the sexier player because he gets big clutch hits that you see on ESPN there is no question JEter does more for the yanks than Ortiz.

As long as the yanks win the AL east and the sox finish out of the playoffs i think this award is jeter's.