Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Re: marked card question

[ QUOTE ]

Not to mention that we have no idea how long the mark was there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't know for sure. However, as a gambler like everyone else on this site, I am pretty good at weighing the odds of things, and I would wager at least 2:1 (2 to get back 1) that I played over 10 hours of poker with a mark on an ace, and (separately) that I played with this particular mark for 5 hours.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't know for sure. However, as a gambler like everyone else on this site, I am pretty good at weighing the odds of things, and I would wager at least 2:1 (2 to get back 1) that I played over 10 hours of poker with a mark in the deck, and (separately) that I played with this particular mark for 5 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
LIVE POKER IS RIGGED!
Old 08-20-2006, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I don't know for sure. However, as a gambler like everyone else on this site, I am pretty good at weighing the odds of things, and I would wager at least 2:1 (2 to get back 1) that I played over 10 hours of poker with a mark in the deck, and (separately) that I played with this particular mark for 5 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
LIVE POKER IS RIGGED!

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I finished ahead 30 Big Bets. I feel like if (***IF***) cheating is what keeps some of the regular fish in the game, it's probably a good thing for someone like me.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Are you serious with this post? Stick to the internet.

(1) What do you do?

-Tell the dealer one of your cards is marked when you fold.

(2) Do you still think you have an edge at this table?

-Cards get marked all the time. It doesn't mean someone is cheating. It means the cards are being used. Reading your posts, I don't give you an edge in life, so I certainly don't think you have an edge here.

(3) Do you chalk this up as lower-limit shenanagins, or do scrap your plans to move up, because that would be playing for real money and you don't know what you're getting into?

-I "chalk it up" to the cards being dealt and played with. Were the words "ACE OF HEARTS" written on the back of the card?

(4) Do you continue to tip the dealers?

-You should tip him double for being an idiot. You are pissed at him for not noticing a mark, yet you noticed it and did nothing.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetically.

[/ QUOTE ]

It all went downhill from there. In our language hypothetically does not mean, "I'm going to recount an anecdote from my recent experience, ask you for opinions, and then get all snippy when you don't agree with my interpretation."

Add me to the emerging consensus: You should say something. Your failure to do so certainly makes you a worse villain than any dealer, except obviously a knowingly complicit one. The marks may or may not have been deliberate, but just seeing one mark on an ace doesn't prove much.

You're correct to think about these things and protect yourself -- I started to accuse you of being paranoid, but that's unfair -- but it doesn't do any good to be wary if your responses don't make any sense. Pointing out the mark, either explicitly or discreetly to a floor, would be fine. Asking for a setup or a table change if you think you're being cheated would be fine. Withholding tips from a likely innocent dealer but saying nothing is not a good response. You're like the player who says, "I know he's bluffing," then reacts by calling with nine-high on the river: Good observation, bad course of action.