Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Re: 5/10 10-500, TPWK vs. nutbar, what is your line?

cpk,

i think you have the nuts against him.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Did someone say standard?

1. Put your opponent on a hand you can beat.
2. You know the rest.

Standard.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 PM

Hi cpk,

Perhaps I was a little harsh and dense with the reply. I didn't thoroughly read the part where he fired 3 bullets with high cards and bottom pair several times in the last hour.

There is a word for this type of player. "Maniac" comes to mind. It sounds like he's loose passive preflop and maniacal postflop. Given this read, I don't mind the call down so much. With only $500 and a read that he's firing 3 shells...often with nothing, I think you can take that risk and rebuy if you're wrong. There are worse things than losing one 50x buy-in to a maniac, because in the end he will lose it all back anyways. He is good for the game.

Even with $1300, him firing 3 shells will still amount to around $500 so check-calling is ok there too.

BTW, how often does this game run? I came on a Sunday evening and they only had NL200 3/5 blinds running. This 5/10 game sounds like a weekend thing only.

Garland
Old 08-14-2006, 08:21 PM

For the record, Barney is not a classic maniac. He bluffs way, way, way too much, but otherwise he is closer to a thinking LAG. He's a very good hand reader and makes frequent good laydowns. He may be anywhere from a moderate loser to a small winner in the game--his ability to read gets him out of a LOT of trouble.

But you're right--he's very good for a game, and games have been known to break up solely because he left.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, how often does this game run? I came on a Sunday evening and they only had NL200 3/5 blinds running. This 5/10 game sounds like a weekend thing only.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will almost always have at least one 300-500 or 500-1000 buyin game (both 5/10) on Friday night and Saturday afternoon, but often they will have multiples of each. These games are far and away the best games in the house--some of the 100-200 games can be kind of nittish, but I've never seen the 300-500 game be other than juicy.

They had so many "NL" games running on Saturday that the poker room ran out of red chips and they had to ask people to color up. :P
Old 08-14-2006, 08:42 PM

I was gonna ask if it was Barney.

Knowing that, I think you are definitely OK peeling on the flop. When he makes it $150 on the turn, I think you need to lay it down. He'll give you the action later when he is definitely worst. I think that if you pick up a draw you will be compensated for those times that you have to lay down your equity to a turn or river bet. And he will pay you off if he has anything reasonable.

I know many fine players on the board here think that it was a easy fold on the flop, but I think it is closer. You have a read against a player that you will face again and against a few good players that like to put lots of pressure on players oop who they view as WT.