Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Continental Airlines -- Fat Person Policy (\"Passenger Of Size\")

How bout the airline accomodate them instead of treating them like [censored]? Perhaps a larger sized seat? Bad analogy but like a handicap spot......
Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bout the airline accomodate them instead of treating them like [censored]? Perhaps a larger sized seat? Bad analogy but like a handicap spot......

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you must be huge. Well, if they do that, then it makes the fat people immoral for upping airline prices for the rest of us becuase there are less seats on a plane.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:05 PM

I'm a buck 70

I have a soft spot in my heart for the fat bitches though [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While the rate increase over hundreds of customers would be small in order to make that accomodation economically feasible, it is still wrong to make others pay for my weight problem.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While the rate increase over hundreds of customers would be small in order to make that accomodation economically feasible, it is still wrong to make others pay for my weight problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still missing the point. It's discrimination
Old 08-13-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're confusing the issue, though. You can't blame the airline for not having the larger seat, but also blame the passenger for complaining. Rarely is obesity a condition that cannot be avoided. The airline is in a bit of a trap, anyway...because no matter which side they come down on, they run the risk of alienating a customer and losing them. Emonrad has just as much right to complain about the leakover as the lady does to having a seat...they both paid for the same service.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dis·crim·i·na·tion Audio pronunciation of "discrimination" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skrm-nshn)
n.

1. The act of discriminating.
2. The ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment.
3. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice: racial discrimination; discrimination against foreigners.

You arent allowing them 1 seat becuase of their class or category, you arent only allowing them one seat based on their individual merits, namely the merit of being fat.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no sympathy for someone who has spent a lifetime gorging himself and as a result can no longer fit in spaces designed for normal sized humans.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:13 PM

trevor,

How is it discrimination? The airline charges a certain amount to transport someone in a seat of a certain size. If someone requires two seats to be transported, they will be charged for two seats. If they require three seats, they will be charged for three.

How can it be any more straightforward than that?

Your use of words like illegal, immoral, etc. here make absolutely no sense.

Is it illegal or immoral for a restaurant to charge a really hungry person more because they eat more food? Is it illegal or immoral for a bar to charge a big drinker more because they consume more drinks? Why should it be any different for an airline?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dis·crim·i·na·tion Audio pronunciation of "discrimination" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skrm-nshn)
n.

1. The act of discriminating.
2. The ability or power to see or make fine distinctions; discernment.
3. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice: racial discrimination; discrimination against foreigners.

You arent allowing them 1 seat becuase of their class or category, you are only allowing them one seat based on their individual merits, namely the merit of being fat.

[/ QUOTE ]

lamest. post. eva.

Maybe we could argue about semantics some more, but your witty attempt at making a point failed miserably.