Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2006, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Tilt in Real Life

I remember Bobby Night hurling a salad bowl or something at the chancellor during a dinner at an upscale restaurant a few years back, heh.

Another obvious one that comes to mind is John McEnroe. He made watching tennis much more entertaining. Good times.

"You cannot be serious!"
Old 08-14-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty surprising he hasn't been mentioned until now...

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xa4xOBECCAAsRKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=122796t34/EXP=1155667512/**http%3a//stream.hoosier.net/natoa2000/knight.jpg[/img]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic Knight
Old 08-14-2006, 04:40 PM

As I have no idea who any of these Americans are and in an effort to wrassle this thread back into a discussion, how about some backstory on some of these?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:48 PM

Woody Hayes was the head football coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes back in the 60's and through 1978. He was one of the best college football coaches ever. Over his career, he amassed a 238-72-10 record and 205-61-10 in the Big Ten. He won four national championships (five if you count the title given to OSU by the National Football Foundation in 1970), won 13 Big Ten titles, played in 8 Rose Bowls (including four straight from 72-75), produced 56 All-Americans, and had three Heisman Trophy winners, three Outland Trophy winners, two Lombardi Trophy winners, and some of the coaches that were assistants under him were Lou Holtz, Bo Schembechler, Rudy Hubbard, Bill Mallory, Earle Bruce, and Dave McClain.

Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness. His conservative style of predominantly running the ball at the opponents is known as "three yards and a cloud of dust." Woody believed that the pass should be used as an element of surprise; "There are three things that can happen when you pass, and two of them ain't good," he said.

The Hayes temper is a thing of legend. Woody would commonly explode into verbal assaults at coaches and players, but he would also be the first to congratulate someone when they performed well. He was famous for throwing and destroying objects; he would always throw his hat, destroy his watch, and stomp on his glasses when he got angry. He would throw anything he could get his hands on.

Woody Hayes was fired in 1978 after having a temper tantrum during the Gator Bowl against Clemson and striking a Clemson linebacker named Charlie Bauman after intercepting a pass to clinch the game for the Tigers as well as two of his own players. Ohio State was embarrassed, and they had no choice but to immediately fire Woody Hayes. The man who was so famous for his temper would lose his job because of it.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty surprising he hasn't been mentioned until now...

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5xa4xOBECCAAsRKjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN 0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=122796t34/EXP=1155667512/**http%3a//stream.hoosier.net/natoa2000/knight.jpg[/img]

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic Knight

[/ QUOTE ]

"Whom the Gods would destroy, they first drive mad."
Old 08-14-2006, 08:45 PM

Last season in the playoffs this team was beating us all game, and they were all quiet.

They brought in a reliever who threw nothing but "gas", lol. Anyway, we started hitting him and they made a couple errors. Their catcher, who thinks he's Paul LoDuca, started yelling at ALL the fielders. example: "COME ON GUYS! WE NEED TO TIGHTEN UP!! LETS GO!! RIGHT NOW!!"

We started laughing in the dugout and I told my teammates that they were "on tilt". I don't think many/any of them knew what tilt is, but needless to say, we went on to win. I should also throw in that I drove in the game-tying RBI, and scored the go-ahead run. We won 8-7. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] They had no choice but to do themselves in. TILT BABY!!!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Last season in the playoffs this team was beating us all game, and they were all quiet.

They brought in a reliever who threw nothing but "gas", lol. Anyway, we started hitting him and they made a couple errors. Their catcher, who thinks he's Paul LoDuca, started yelling at ALL the fielders. example: "COME ON GUYS! WE NEED TO TIGHTEN UP!! LETS GO!! RIGHT NOW!!"

We started laughing in the dugout and I told my teammates that they were "on tilt". I don't think many/any of them knew what tilt is, but needless to say, we went on to win. I should also throw in that I drove in the game-tying RBI, and scored the go-ahead run. We won 8-7. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] They had no choice but to do themselves in. TILT BABY!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

For a similar but more watched example, see any must-win game the Cubs have played the last, oh 98 years. (Sorry, not trying to start a sports forum.)
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. In a similar situation I was playing in a B league baseball league that we pretty much just had fun in. One game we played a good friend of mines team (and 3 or 4 others on the team) and he pitched. We also play poker with him a lot. Anyways we started a rally off of him scoring 7 runs in 2 1/3 innings or so. After each run or big hit or whatever we'd be like "He's on tilt!" He constantly had this look of disbelief on his face, he always like'd to brag about what a great pitcher he was.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 PM

For your project I suggest looking into Mike Caro's Threshold of misery. Basically it means that at a certain point you have lost so much that you can't feel losses, and as a result your play deteriorates. he applies this in real life too, such as when a mother loses children and she gives up social contacts, won't dress as nice as usual and such.

You can find Mike Caro's website at poker1.com, although from what I can tell it hasn't been updated lately, which is a shame, because I enjoy his work. Along with several free articles on his site (offered in audio and print) he has several books and dvds, however I don't know the quality of most of them. If a disclaimer is needed I have no affliation.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:05 AM

Nomination: Best performance by a Vice President