Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Online to B&M transition

I have recently switched from B&M to OnLine. And though I love the concept of playing 5,000 hands in less than two days, I don't think I will be playing OL for much longer.

If you are used to playing OL, I would not jump straight to 8/16. Sorry to offend, but I have NEVER seen an OL "pro" play well in a B&M setting. I would start up playing at 4/8.

Ironically, I have found that OL seems to be more weak-tight. Many people in B&M follow "tells" and create them as well. I find that many players will try to put plays on you. I don't know how aware of these plays you would be aware of while multi-tabling. While you have the math/tech side of the game down, B&M requiures more soft concepts to beat out the rake and tip structure.

Patience is a virtue that you should learn as soon as possible. I doubt that you will be able to multi-table 100/200 and above. If you would like to play at these stakes, you are pretty much forced to play B&M.

Socializing is key as well. I have never found myself bored ina B&M, as I take it upon myself to say hi to people. Also, there is so much suttle and meta-game things happening, you should be content to figure out what people are holding, thinking, etc....

I say go for it, you will become a better player for it.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:18 PM

I've played a lot of B&M in the past but have been almost exclusively online for 3-4 years now. Last week on vacation I played some 10-20 limit at Foxwoods. It was softer than online 1-2. Waaaay softer.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have recently switched from B&M to OnLine. And though I love the concept of playing 5,000 hands in less than two days, I don't think I will be playing OL for much longer.

If you are used to playing OL, I would not jump straight to 8/16. Sorry to offend, but I have NEVER seen an OL "pro" play well in a B&M setting. I would start up playing at 4/8.

Ironically, I have found that OL seems to be more weak-tight. Many people in B&M follow "tells" and create them as well. I find that many players will try to put plays on you. I don't know how aware of these plays you would be aware of while multi-tabling. While you have the math/tech side of the game down, B&M requiures more soft concepts to beat out the rake and tip structure.

Patience is a virtue that you should learn as soon as possible. I doubt that you will be able to multi-table 100/200 and above. If you would like to play at these stakes, you are pretty much forced to play B&M.

Socializing is key as well. I have never found myself bored ina B&M, as I take it upon myself to say hi to people. Also, there is so much suttle and meta-game things happening, you should be content to figure out what people are holding, thinking, etc....

I say go for it, you will become a better player for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with much of this, specifically the comments on playing styles and neccesary skills, I've developed the exact opposite view in terms of desirability of live play.

Having played B&M for years and only recently gone to internet play, online play has ruined me for live play.

The speed of net play has eroded my patience for live play. Getting in 30 hands an hour with deck changes, slow play, cell phones and miscellaneous silliness seems not worth the cost. Waiting an hour for a seat, limited game availability and irregular service don't help either. When you figure in rake and tips (one place went to a $5 rake), it gets very hard to justify spending time in a card room.

I'm generally not that fond of the people and those I may like I don't want to get too personal with because I'm hoping to do everything within reason to take their money.

My earn isn't all that different whether playing live or online but I find that being able to play whatever game at whatever level whenever I want and for however long, all from the comfort of my own home is too much to pass up to allow a card room to suckle at my teet.

The internet has ruined me for live play.