Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM

Default Re: Results

Villain had shown a willingness to stab at the pot, and make loose calls. I don't always offer c/b, and I thought it was more likely that villain would put chips in after the turn.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 PM

Yeah, I puke and call as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Default Re: WSOP Day2 a7o

Totally OT, but nice avatar! One of my top 5 movies [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 01:32 PM

Hey Joe,

I'd probably just bet the flop and be done with it...as much as you'd like to bleed some more out of the donk, the pot already represents 25% of what you have behind on the flop, I don't think you want to play for stacks here, and betting doesn't preclude him from doing something stupid, anyways.

On the river as played I like your call...he's somehow gotten to a spot where he could easily be bluffing, and you're getting something like 4:1 that he's got a pocket pair, gutshot, or simply two cards.

Matt
Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Pretty easy call given the 3.5:1 odds you're getting.

I raise a lot of hands and c-bet often, so I rarely check a flop like this where I have a hand. You have to give your c-bets cover by betting out when you make a hand . . .

so for my playing style, I don't like checking the flop. If he folds to my bet, I show the A.

If he calls, I bet the turn.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM

No offense Jason, but the last 3 or 4 posts of yours have been rife with poor advice. Just because you might do something doesn't make it the right play.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense Jason, but the last 3 or 4 posts of yours have been rife with poor advice. Just because you might do something doesn't make it the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not going to point out why you think the "last 3 or 4 posts" are bad advice so that we all might learn something, then my advice to you would be simply not to take it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

OP said he doesn't always C-bet, so I was simply pointing out that I play it differently because I do. Nothing wrong with checking the flop if that's how OP plays, just offering an alternative vision.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Well, an alternative vision (??) could also be to fold preflop. That's not what was done however, we can go all day talking about what could've beens, but that doesn't address the issue at hand.

If you want me to go around quoting your advice and telling you why it's not optimal, I could. For example, in sheets' thread you say to push the turn with TPTK on the T738 board. This is not only poor, but just plain retarded as it allows even the worst players in the world to play perfectly.

Better?

Again, sorry to be rough and I hope it's not too condescending, but you might be better off doing more reading and posting less for a bit.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you not bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had shown a willingness to stab at the pot, and make loose calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Make him do this on the flop. Giving him a free card stinks; you're not far enough ahead to make this play if he has any piece of the board, or any hand that isn't completely worthless.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:47 PM

Just wondering......Many have pointed out that the it was a nice/mandatory call given the odds that the pot was laying (between 3.5-4 to 1). Did that not seem like an obvious attempt at a value bet here trying to extract something extra? I can't see what villian would "float" with here on this dry ass board with really no redraws. Not to mention that floating OOP is not really a good play against a shortstack where your implied odds are limited to being not worth while. I can only assume that he has some piece of it or he would have given up on his initial investment which was small. How much more could he have reasonablly bet that would have supplied the call he wanted on a double paired board?

On a side note, the checked flop is intriguing. I think I like it. In hindsight, knowing the results you most definetly would have gotten c/r'ed off your winning hand had you bet. By the turn he figures to just induce your bluff and get to showdown but on the flop he could have interpretted a bet as an obvious c-bet and thus had more courage to c/r his second pair. Well played. Tough break on river 3 outer but again the odds offered seem fishy.