Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Slanted NPR report on online poker and college students Friday

My local paper, which has an entire section for religion every Saturday, ran a front page article the day after the fatwa passed the house. The entire article was about how online gambling must be stopped because so many poor, stupid college boys are running up huge debts on their credit cards to fund their evil gambling addiction.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:48 PM

While I have always thought NPR was good, it was because I agree with it's usual liberal stance. I was against the Iraq War, so was NPR.

Balance would have to be that I don't agree with everything they say.

"This American Life" is very pro-poker, find the radio show and the book they wrote.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:53 PM

The NPR station in San Francisco had a segment on online gambling. They actually had a guy who runs PocketFives on the show (I forget his name), as well as representatives from Gamblers Anonymous and other organizations. I thought it was a very good discussion, extremely balanced in that the Pocket5's guy was being reasonable and there were a few other reasonable opinions (one guy who was just totally anti-online-gambling, and another guy who thought gambling was wrong but pointed out that it's impossible to really keep addicts from gambling online or any other way, and legislation is not fixing anything).
Old 07-29-2006, 03:54 PM

ps. NPR has to be liberal to balance out the capito-fascist righties at the New York Times.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My local paper, which has an entire section for religion every Saturday, ran a front page article the day after the fatwa passed the house. The entire article was about how online gambling must be stopped because so many poor, stupid college boys are running up huge debts on their credit cards to fund their evil gambling addiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they mention how those stupid frat boys managed to get their credit cards to work with gambling sites?
Old 07-29-2006, 05:29 PM

Hey I hate it to break to you guys but most of the people you beat are the guy who went nuts and robbed the bank or the lady in the interview, or the housewife maxing out her husbands credit cards(especially low limits). You guys need to get out in the real world and see the destruction gambling can cause. Go visit your average live game or the race track and see the average gambler there, 90 percent of these people lose and lose large, it seemed realistic to me.. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey I hate it to break to you guys but most of the people you beat are the guy who went nuts and robbed the bank or the lady in the interview, or the housewife maxing out her husbands credit cards (especially low limits).

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first started playing $25NL I was terrible. You know what? It still took me 2 months to lose $200. I can easily spend $100 a weekend on drinking and entertainment expenses. A lot of people can afford to lose the money they are losing at the small stakes games, whether or not they have a gambling problem.

Does anyone have anyone on their buddy list that consistantly loses over $1000 a month? As far as I can tell the biggest problem with buddy lists is that the super fish dissapear after awhile.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:17 PM

1. I'm in no way surprised that NPR gave a slanted broadcast. Pretty much most people who have listen to NPR don't really hold it up as any sort of bastion of objectivity.

2. I AM surprised they were anti-online gambling. I would have guessed it would have been pro.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:46 PM

Second one sounds fairly accurate - Solution: Don't play >40% of your hands!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Someone get Schneids on this show. Seriously.