Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Slanted NPR report on online poker and college students Friday

Link here.

Has anybody else heard this? Unbelievably slanted and very, very disappointing. I'll bet all you college students didn't know how SEDUCTIVE and DANGEROUS online poker is!!

I don't think all NPR stations have it, but the Phoenix station runs a show called "Here and Now" in the mornings. The audio is RealPlayer format and the gambling segment is the first 16 minutes of a 38-minute show.

The lack of balance is truly unbelievable. The first guest is a Loyola senior who became addicted a couple of years ago but somehow managed to save herself. She says things like "[colleges] need to set up awareness that this is an issue, that this is something like the date-rape drug, ecstacy, or cocaine - this is very, very serious, and it ruins lives, and they need to start talking about it..."

The second guest is a journalist who you'd think would at least try to be neutral, but he's not even close. He actually describes PokerTracker, and describes its use by so-called "online pros" to track the poor, innocent novices ("anybody playing more than 40% of their hands") and buddy-list them so they can stalk them and extract their tuition-money.

I'll be sharing my thoughts with NPR tomorrow when I've calmed down. I know this is pretty much standard media coverage of online gambling, but I expected better from NPR.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Slanted NPR report on online poker and college students Friday

well that second guest is pretty spot on don't you think?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whilst I usually enjoy listening to your show, I was extremely disappointed with the one-sided and heavy-handed attitude towards the online gaming industry.

Did any sources for rebuttal decline to be interviewed, or was this report a lax attempt to be inflammatory?

Your usual level of sensible, measured and informative reporting was lacking in this show, and it was a great letdown.

Sincerely
Peter Harris

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2006, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be sharing my thoughts with NPR tomorrow when I've calmed down. I know this is pretty much standard media coverage of online gambling, but I expected better from NPR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trusting NPR content is a big mistake. When you learn to critically analyze their news broadcasts, you'll discover the deeply ingrained cultural and political bias behind much, if not most, of their writing.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trusting NPR content is a big mistake. When you learn to critically analyze their news broadcasts, you'll discover the deeply ingrained cultural and political bias behind much, if not most, of their writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

as opposed to, um, say, fox? lol.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well that second guest is pretty spot on don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2006, 08:21 AM

Yes NPR is the Pravda for abortionists, sodomites, drug users, unwed mothers and other uncristian unamerican al queda types.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as opposed to, um, say, fox? lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair and Balanced, Baby!!!

And if you don't think so, it just because you are a flip-flopping, tax-and-spend, cut-and-run, flag-burning liberal.

(You are probably so anti-family you support the greatest evil of our time, on-line gambling)
Old 07-29-2006, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link here.

Has anybody else heard this? Unbelievably slanted and very, very disappointing. I'll bet all you college students didn't know how SEDUCTIVE and DANGEROUS online poker is!!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, was I ever simultaneously SO naive AND SO supremely enlightened?

If so, I apologize to all the people who were justified in their desire to kick my arrogant, condescending, college-boy butt.

Poor little innocent class president gets "seduced" by on-line poker. Oh the horror!

The gall of the poker rooms to ADVERTISE. (I'm glad the state lottery never does that.)

We have to stop the madness NOW before our trade deficit with Gibraltar gets worse.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:16 AM

War on Gambling anyone?