Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2006, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Why move up slowly

[ QUOTE ]
any people don't understand/imagine that one need to play hundreds of tourneys (preferably 1000) to have a good idea of their ROI
i ran a few sims here

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting link. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:54 AM

Umm.... Why don't you let your bankroll decide your stakes?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 AM

Should be added to the faq.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 AM

Guys, stop being pussies. Playing 1000 11s to make sure you are beating them for a decent amount is a waste of time. If you have $600, stop playing them. A 25 buyin downswing at the 22s is highly unlikely if you are any good. You know what else? Say you start off and don't run well when you first move up. 10 ootm and you still have 37 buyins for the 11s. It's not against the rules to move back down. Oh, boo hoo, your ego takes a hit. So what?

Almost all of the bankroll requirement stuff saying you need 50-100 buyins is geared toward the higher stakes, where lower roi leads to larger swings, and people who live off of their bankroll. If you are not living off your bankroll, which is very likely the case at the low limit sngs unless you grind a ton of hours, you can take more risks trying to move up trying to become better.

People always talk about being worried about the a bad run hurting them, but never seem to talk about how much running hot as you move up would help them. You may have the skills to beat the 60s or 114s or whatever right now, but won't get there for 4 months because you are basically scaredass nits with no gamble. To maximize your long term expectation, you want to be at the game you beat for the biggest amount for the longest amount of time. This is not achieved by playing in games you feel safe in, it happens by taking risks to try and move up quickly.

Of course, if your self control sucks and you aren't able to make yourself move back down, then moving up slowly but surely is the way to go.

Velocity
Old 07-30-2006, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, stop being pussies. Playing 1000 11s to make sure you are beating them for a decent amount is a waste of time. If you have $600, stop playing them. A 25 buyin downswing at the 22s is highly unlikely if you are any good. You know what else? Say you start off and don't run well when you first move up. 10 ootm and you still have 37 buyins for the 11s. It's not against the rules to move back down. Oh, boo hoo, your ego takes a hit. So what?

Almost all of the bankroll requirement stuff saying you need 50-100 buyins is geared toward the higher stakes, where lower roi leads to larger swings, and people who live off of their bankroll. If you are not living off your bankroll, which is very likely the case at the low limit sngs unless you grind a ton of hours, you can take more risks trying to move up trying to become better.

People always talk about being worried about the a bad run hurting them, but never seem to talk about how much running hot as you move up would help them. You may have the skills to beat the 60s or 114s or whatever right now, but won't get there for 4 months because you are basically scaredass nits with no gamble. To maximize your long term expectation, you want to be at the game you beat for the biggest amount for the longest amount of time. This is not achieved by playing in games you feel safe in, it happens by taking risks to try and move up quickly.

Of course, if your self control sucks and you aren't able to make yourself move back down, then moving up slowly but surely is the way to go.

Velocity

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this. Dont be afraid to take shots.

Also, remember that after say 500 Stts with an ROI of like 24%, you are 95% chance to be between about 11% ROI and 37% ROI, and that each extreme is equally unlikely to happen.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, stop being pussies. Playing 1000 11s to make sure you are beating them for a decent amount is a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Umm.... Why don't you let your bankroll decide your stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've made a bunch off MTTs and could consider myself rolled for high stakes STTs but I really don't think that I should lose at them until my roll makes me move back down. I started at the $33s and think I'll play 500-1000 of them before I move up, just to make sure I'm ready.

Dumb/Leaving money on the table?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumb/Leaving money on the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, but if you are beating them for a good %, mix in a few 55s every now and then and see how you do. The point is that you dont have to play 1261234 of each stake, then all of a sudden decide you are "moving up" and then feel oblicated to play 152134 of the next stake. Theres something to be said about not moving up before you are ready, but you can also stay at a level too long IMO.

/rant on moving up
Old 07-30-2006, 04:53 AM

I have to add that i played over 1500 27$ SNG with 12% ROI so profit/SNG is almost the same at 16$ and 27$. I also feel more comfortable at the 16$ turbos. Most players are very predictible and variance is also lower.

I know that I have also some leaks so I continue to play the 16$ SNG. Between 23% and 25% ROi I will move up to the 27$ SNG. This moment will come sooner as I like because I have to leave my comfort zone aka 16$ turbos. Ok I am a puss but I have no other income stay in Thailand so may be you understand better why I am so conservative now.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:57 AM

the reason why i will wait to reach 1000 10+1 SNGS is not because i'm scared to play higher stakes
you don't get it
that might be surprising but i'm not playing SNGs for money
I just want to see how good i am at 10+1, then play 1000 20+2 SNGs and compares ROIs, then move up etc...
I saw a post where it's stated that a great SNG player might make 30% at 6/11 levels, juts want to see if i can.
i'm winning more money playing cash games than SNGs

as i don't need this money to live, i just want to take time to learn, fix my leaks etc...
For cash games, i moved up limits quickly and found that i still didn't not fix my leaks. That's something i want to avoid in SNGs.
People who only want to maximize their win rate should move up before they reach 1,000 SNGS.
That's true but it's not my situation.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:28 AM

I think playing 1000 10s is a waste of time unless you are 30 tabling them if you have the BR like others have said. Also 2.5% of the time is big enough that you cant count it out. I figure at least <1% before it starts to be small and i really feel like 1 in a 100 is decently large in teh grand scheme of things.