Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Live MTT, late QQ tough decision

If your saying your Chris Bigler, then you fold faceup to Jen harman.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your saying your Chris Bigler, then you fold faceup to Jen harman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good catch...
Old 07-27-2006, 12:38 PM

This is a pretty easy fold. If you're ahead you're not ahead by much and if you're behind you're drawing nearly dead. Your odds stink. I'd make it more to play PF btw.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty easy fold. If you're ahead you're not ahead by much and if you're behind you're drawing nearly dead. Your odds stink. I'd make it more to play PF btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain raises 5600 and I re-raise 20k more, how much more could I raise? It's more than a pot sized raise. Raising more PF, in this big of a tourney, is out of the question. PF is definitely not the problem here. (maybe a call, but that is borderline (maybe not so borderline) weak/tight)
Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Sorry I read that as though you raised to 20K, not another 20K (making it 27K total.)
Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 PM

Looks like villian's line is something like 88-QQ, AcJx/AcQx/AcKx/AxKc. Perhaps AXcc or AK(no clubs). . . .

Problem is that your a coinflip favorite against the AcJx/AcQx, and a slight coinflip dog to AcKx. 99 made a set against you, so you're only really beating 88/TT/JJ, but you're only a 3:2 favorite (well, 1.3:1) against any pair with a club in their hand . . .NOt to mention drawing virtually dead to AXcc. . . .

(Your opponent is about 55% to have a club in their hand.)

THe pot is laying 1.6:1 . . . . don't have time to do the extended math, but it certainly isn't screaming for a call.

If you fold, you've still got 119K and will be 2nd CL with an M of 18. If you call and lose, you're crippled. If you call and win, you'll have about 280K in chips.

This seems a fairly close decision, so I'd make it based on how I was doing at the table. If I'm beating the table up, then this is an easy fold. If this has become a very tough table and my stack is dwindling down, then I might call and go for the home run here . . .

You said you've been doing very well, so easy fold . . .
Old 07-27-2006, 01:34 PM

FYI - Pokerstove won't do a range with suited hands, so here's a rough idea of the most optimistic scenario (he moves in with 88-QQ/AA/AJo+/AJs+)

________equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 58.1937 % 56.52% 01.67% { QdQh }
Hand 2: 41.8063 % 40.14% 01.67% { AA, QQ-88, AJs+, AJo+ }
Old 07-27-2006, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like villian's line is something like 88-QQ, AcJx/AcQx/AcKx/AxKc. Perhaps AXcc or AK(no clubs). . . .

Problem is that your a coinflip favorite against the AcJx/AcQx, and a slight coinflip dog to AcKx. 99 made a set against you, so you're only really beating 88/TT/JJ, but you're only a 3:2 favorite (well, 1.3:1) against any pair with a club in their hand . . .NOt to mention drawing virtually dead to AXcc. . . .

THe pot is laying 1.6:1 . . . . don't have time to do the extended math, but it certainly isn't screaming for a call.

If you fold, you've still got 119K and will be 2nd CL with an M of 18. If you call and lose, you're crippled. If you call and win, you'll have about 280K in chips.

This seems a fairly close decision, so I'd make it based on how I was doing at the table. If I'm beating the table up, then this is an easy fold. If this has become a very tough table and my stack is dwindling down, then I might call and go for the home run here . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can remove AQ and QQ from his likely holdings. KK reraises Preflop leaving AK, 10-JJ. Since you have stated there is ~50% he does not have a club, he is likely drawing to a 2 outer....easy call.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can remove AQ and QQ from his likely holdings. KK reraises Preflop leaving AK, 10-JJ. Since you have stated there is ~50% he does not have a club, he is likely drawing to a 2 outer....easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP said hero is being aggressive and has won some recent pots . . . thus I think villian's calling range of hero's RR is much larger. I agree that KK RR's here.

I don't see why we take AQ out even if he is tighter, there's still 8 card combinations that make AQ, 3 of which either have a flush draw or the made flush. . . .

As for drawing to a 2 outer, only 88/TT/JJ are drawing to a 2 outer if they don't have a club. If they do, they have 11 outs against us . . . and with the pairs, 50% of the card combinations have a club. So if we just put him on 88/TT/JJ, then 50% of the time he has 11 outs and 50% of the time he's got 2. So we're just better than a 2.3:1 favorite over this range . . . .

But of course, his hand range is much larger than that . . . and includes AA as well (I might play AA slow once hero's RR had narrowed the field and put a lot of money in the pot). On this flop, AA without a club isn't going to waste much time, and AA with a club could also be pushing because it looks like a bluff with AK or a scared play by TT/JJ/QQ.

So somtimes, we'll be drawing to 2, maybe even 1 out ourselves . . .
Old 07-27-2006, 04:08 PM

FWIW, without knowing stack sizes for sure, but knowing he still has a monster stack, this is a pretty clear fold to me.