Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Playing loose passive..

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I check this flop every time. There is no point in betting. Your hand is too strong to bet IMO. If you have the best hand here, there are not many turn cards that can change that status. If I had Qx on an AQx flop I would also check here. The money you make in this situation in the long run will not come from betting and hoping lesser hands call you down. Your long term earn in this micro-sized pot comes from inducing lesser hands/bluffs to bet your hand for you. IMO, betting this flop is a mistake that many 2+2ers make. Once you check and someone bets, what I do here depends on my opponent type. If hes the type to take a stab at the pot and then give up on the turn, then I would checkraise the flop and take it from there. If hes the type to bluff more beyond the flop, then I would check/call the flop and keep the charade going.

So If I had check/called that flop, I would never check/fold the turn cuz that would mean im up against the type of opponent that will bet many lesser hands than me on the turn.

So overall sharpie, I dont like your play in this hand becuz IMO your flop play is inconsistent with your turn play, but I love your flop check.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty dependant on knowing whether our opponents would or wouldnt limp w/ and A or K, no? I feel like a lot of players will limp in with weak aces and kings and we'll just be spewing.

I could be wrong though.

Edit: I do agree that OP's line isnt the best. If he does check call flop I dont like check folding this turn too much.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I check this flop every time. There is no point in betting. Your hand is too strong to bet IMO. If you have the best hand here, there are not many turn cards that can change that status. If I had Qx on an AQx flop I would also check here. The money you make in this situation in the long run will not come from betting and hoping lesser hands call you down. Your long term earn in this micro-sized pot comes from inducing lesser hands/bluffs to bet your hand for you. IMO, betting this flop is a mistake that many 2+2ers make. Once you check and someone bets, what I do here depends on my opponent type. If hes the type to take a stab at the pot and then give up on the turn, then I would checkraise the flop and take it from there. If hes the type to bluff more beyond the flop, then I would check/call the flop and keep the charade going.

So If I had check/called that flop, I would never check/fold the turn cuz that would mean im up against the type of opponent that will bet many lesser hands than me on the turn.

So overall sharpie, I dont like your play in this hand becuz IMO your flop play is inconsistent with your turn play, but I love your flop check.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great post

[/ QUOTE ]

This particular hand may not be the best example to illustrate this b/c of 2 pair low kicker and an ace on the flop but in general I think the SSSHE players are too aggressive on smaller pots when checked through.

When you are a decent player and the board is raggy and you bet the flop on an ace high board do you really expect someone to call you down with middle pair, especially if you are betting from the blind or ep.

Doesn't happen - lags give me too much credit for an ace.

On this particular hand I would likely just fold but i agree with ILOVE's overall sentiments and concepts.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a 2 flush, 2 broadway board and you have paired the bottom broadway with a terrible kicker.
You either have the best hand or you don't.
I like to find out now.

There are many boards and many hands where I may have made the same post. I don't think this is one of them.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a 2 flush, 2 broadway board and you have paired the bottom broadway with a terrible kicker.
You either have the best hand or you don't.
I like to find out now.

There are many boards and many hands where I may have made the same post. I don't think this is one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the flop here will simply kill your action when you do have the best hand, and you end up inducing action from better hands only. As far as betting this flop to find out where youre at....I dont know what site you play at, but at party, betting for information doesnt work. I would only bet this flop if I were against 2 opponents who are very loose/passive calling stations that will call with alot more hand then they will bet. In the games I play it, people bet a lot more hands then they call with, which is why I like checking here with Kx on an AKx flop or Qx on an AQx flop.