Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 02:26 AM

Default Re: 25/50 deepstack (most interesting hand in a while!)

Out of shear curiosity and as a newcomer to higher stakes, is getting yourself into and out of situations like this vital to becoming a profitable HSNL player?

Like, is it a hugely incorrect play to fold to his turn min. raise?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of shear curiosity and as a newcomer to higher stakes, is getting yourself into and out of situations like this vital to becoming a profitable HSNL player?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, folding is the standard play. But if you fold too often, you give him great bluff pot odds by letting him take you off pots easily (ie, buy pots on the cheap). Just have to mix up your reaction to the minraise so you're not predictable.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

with those stacks and with that board it's all mindgames; there's no "correct" postflop play
Old 07-14-2006, 05:30 AM

Bruiser,

I like a raise to 6k quite a bit better than 4800.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:06 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

El D,

What about 6k is substantially different from 4800 that makes it 'quite a bit better?'
Old 07-14-2006, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As I said, that depends on how often he believes bruiser to be firing river basically no matter what (and of course how often he's intended on calling that riverbet). If he thinks bruiser is betting river a LOT and still intends to fold to his bet most of the time, then calling is obviously spewing.

The fact that it is "only" 1/5 of pot shouldn't be the main factor in making his decision.

Is he often trapping us by making this call that looks very strong (if we believe this, we should obv check/give up river), or is he making this call w/ AA/KK or something just because he KNOWS his call looks so strong/trapping, that he expects us to shut down and give him a check/check river? No, this second alternative doesn't make much sense, and here's why:

The answer, to me, lies in that he minraised turn; it just doesn't make sense to me to minraise a non-nutty hand w/ which he should be wanting the potsize kept down/close the action, and then all of a sudden make a cold-call of another small raise in hoping to represent more strength than he has, now instead hoping to get a check-check on river. The reasons doesn't make sense put together.

Simply put, the reasons for the first minraise doesn't go well together w/ how we would motivate the call of the next minraise as the hand turned out.

[/ QUOTE ]

My alcohol hazed mind cant get what you are trying to say. Im sure its clear im just stupid this morning, but im curious to know.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about 6k is substantially different from 4800 that makes it 'quite a bit better?'

[/ QUOTE ]

More fold equity because it looks like Bruiser wants the pot big enough to secure a call to his river push? Idk. I think it just looks like he means business and it will get a fold more often. And if it's called he probably won't be up against any hand that will fold to a river bet, so he can give up easier. Just brainstorming.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM

Ahnuld: I was just playing a little bit with unrealistical levels of thinking. I also explained why it really wasn't of interest in this case, since action prior up until the call of the second minraise by villain would not make sense with "scenario two", e.g calling w/ a weaker hand knowing how "strong" the call looks, and thus hoping a bluff would shut down river nearly all of the time.

I'm not buying someone would minraise w/ AA/KK for value or whatever, and then all of a sudden get scared when they get minraised back and now instead make a call that overrepresent their hand, hoping to get it checked down on river because of that. Those two actions seems contradictory to me, not likely made by the same player in the same hand.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:29 PM

i like a good old-fashioned check-fold on the river. -ba
Old 07-14-2006, 02:29 PM

his line matches AA,KK,AQ,JJ,AT as much as it matches a bluff, making this an incredibly standard check/fold