Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Has Anyone Used Movers to Move before?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything I should look out for? Scams they try to pull on me?

Do I want to get the full protection insurance for $75 more?

My trip is about 225 miles and they said there is a 4k lb. min. load and will cost $1800 + insurance + a mileage fee. Does this sound about right?

I've called several but most are super busy this time of year and this is the only place I have found that is available.

I'm not super worried on cost as my employer is reimbursing for it, but I'd still rather not pay more than necessary.

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I got ripped off a while ago. Always go with a reputable firm, even if it costs more. It's not fun having the guys refuse to unload your crap until you pay them 2x what was negotiated over the phone(due to BS "unforeseen costs")

DN
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do I want to get the full protection insurance for $75 more?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! There's a 99% chance they will damage some of your stuff. Keep an eye on them, get the insurance and make sure to get reimbursed.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM

I used movers for their minimum of 3 hours just to move all the big stuff about 10 miles to our new house. They charged $75 travel fee and $75/hr for their time, so I can't really say about your $1800 - mine was only 3 hours, and they only had to travel 10 miles.

Do you know what their insurance will cover? What's the difference between that and the 'full protection' for $75 more?
Old 07-13-2006, 04:01 PM

You are better off getting your own insurance not from the moving company. We paid about 200-300 for $35,000 of coverage from some online company that my wife found (numbers are approximate, I don't remember exactly). This eliminates the moving company from being liable for their own losses and trying to avoid paying.

The problem we ran into was the amount of coverage we got. We based the 35K number on the movers' estimates of how much cubic footage our stuff would take plus itemizing for items worth more than $500. When our stuff was packed up, it took up a lot more room on the truck. Because we dealt with a reliable moving company, we weren't liable for the overage (only 10% over the estimate). This was good.

What was bad was that when some of our stuff got damaged, the insurance company only paid us about 2/3 of the claim value (less deductible) because we were "underinsured." When our stuff took up more space, it increased in value (there is a minimum value per cubic foot). Oops.

Overall, using movers was absolutely worth the money. They showed up with 3 or 4 guys and a mile of tape, boxes and packing supplies. They cleared our place in a few hours, which could have taken us a week. Yeah, they broke one piece of furniture, but [censored] happens. I'll never pack and movy myself again.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:13 PM

I don't know who we used, but I know that when we moved from Corpus Christi to Atlanta, half of my dad's flight suits, and other navy gear got stolen out of the boxes.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:11 PM

I moved from FL to PA. Make sure that you will be reimbursed for whatever they break (and they will break something). if that means ponying up $75 more, do it.

If you have a house with a normal amount of stuff, then movers are the way to go unless of course you have 6 burly friends who don't mind lifting heavy things for you.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:13 PM

Do a search, at least 3 good threads on this in OOT.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do a search, at least 3 good threads on this in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i did a search and used the advice to look at www.movingscam.com. But those threads didn't really answer my questions - especially things to look for, general tips, or costs. Though I guess movingscam has much of that info.

And I'm important damnit so I get my own thread!