Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM

Default Re: How big of a prick was I?

I predict your child hating you in the near future for becoming overly involved/obsessed in his life. I also predict that you will become so obsessed that you will fight other fathers during and after these games. Your son will have purple hair, move out at age 14, and wish he never played baseball ever.

It is a fun kid league. Back off.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where does he say the pitch was wild?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was kind of assuming it, otherwise why would he have explained his league's passed ball rule?

In any case, it doesn't matter. You can steal on ball 4 whether you are forced or not. If there is a man on 2nd and the batter walks, the runner can steal third if any sort of stealing is allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of leagues for young kids consider a properly fielded ball 4 to be dead for the purposes of stealing.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both you and the other coach were disrespecting the game and being a terrible example to the children. Grow up and act like the role model you're supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has both coached at that age level and umpired for that age level, nothing about what happened seems terribly out of line to me. Arguing incorrect calls = standard, even at that level. Arguing with an ump in little leagues usually isn't the kind of stuff you see in the majors with kicking dirt and finger pointing and yelling and whatnot. Unless it escalated to that level, there's really nothing wrong with going out there to dispute a call as long as you keep it civil.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:41 PM

Never argue at a little league baseball game. But given what happened I think your last line to the other coach was pretty good.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where does he say the pitch was wild?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was kind of assuming it, otherwise why would he have explained his league's passed ball rule?

In any case, it doesn't matter. You can steal on ball 4 whether you are forced or not. If there is a man on 2nd and the batter walks, the runner can steal third if any sort of stealing is allowed.

[/ QUOTE ]
A lot of leagues for young kids consider a properly fielded ball 4 to be dead for the purposes of stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, look, it's pretty obvious.

If OP's player on 2nd stole third in a fashion that was illegal by the rules of his league, then he's more of a prick than otherwise.

If he kid took 3rd legally and the umpire's bad call forced the kid to return to 2nd and the other team's coach was a douchebag about the incident, then he's less of a prick.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both you and the other coach were disrespecting the game and being a terrible example to the children. Grow up and act like the role model you're supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has both coached at that age level and umpired for that age level, nothing about what happened seems terribly out of line to me. Arguing incorrect calls = standard, even at that level. Arguing with an ump in little leagues usually isn't the kind of stuff you see in the majors with kicking dirt and finger pointing and yelling and whatnot. Unless it escalated to that level, there's really nothing wrong with going out there to dispute a call as long as you keep it civil.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. As long as it was a reasonably-toned discussion there's nothing wrong with it. Billy Martin-style arguing is obviously inappropriate, but clarifying incorrect rulings is commonplace.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 PM

If the rules say he can steal there, then there should be no issue.

For the time frame thing, it sounds like he screwed himself by wasting 5 minutes therefore allowing the game to end.

NH on throwing the "cant argue" point back at em.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Arguing incorrect calls is standard because it's what dads do, but it can't be so cut and dry in a 10U league. This is like the first year that stealing is allowed. Expecting the catcher (who, at this age, is the worst and fattest player on the team) to have any shot at throwing the guy out, even on a clean pitch, is expecting too much imo.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

I don't really see anything wrong with your actions. Teach these kids that winning is all that matters. Screw having fun.

Do <10 year olds normally play 2 hour games? That's kinda hardcore.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you not know that you can't steal a base on ball 4? I'd be annoyed too if an idiot was out there arguing that it was a live ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] are you talking about?