Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 04:58 PM

Default Re: AQs on a dangerous board.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You shouldn't automatically cbet the flop. You need to look for situations where it appears that you would have something and your opponent doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

This addresses a common problem for me.... What type of board are you looking for in this instance (or even if the original bet had been t60 instead of t100) where you would cbet? I mean, what's villain's range here? If he called with a low to mid pocket pair, he probably isn't folding to a cbet. So, a bet from us is bad. However, if he only called PF with two high cards, how often might a cbet work with this flop?

I know, as we've said, this is largely situation dependent. But what I'm asking is, all other things in this problem being equal, what flop allows a cbet here... and why?

--TFGoose

[/ QUOTE ]
Normally, an ace or king high board without a lot of draws. It depends a lot on the situation.

With 522, it obviously missed you if you have AK/AQ or other high card hands. The caller is likely to have a pp and be ahead. Plus he might try to represent a deuce.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Re: AQs on a dangerous board.....

Okay, thanks for the input. I agree that a PP is a likely holding for the villain in this instance. However, I can think of several occasions where I raise with AK, get a caller, whiff the flop, cbet, and my opponent still lays it down (having called with K-10, QJ, or some other nonsense). My basic rule of thumb tends to be that with no reads, and with both players holding plenty of chips, a cbet into a non-connected board takes down more pots than it loses. I just start running into trouble when the stacks are of a more medium-flavor, which coincidentally is where you end up playing a lot of a tournament. So this is an area where I need to work.

--TFGoose