Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Re: AQ unimproved river raise

The more I think about it, I think the play is to just call. Button might fold an A anyway, not wanting to overcall. I actually thought my kicker played at the moment, because I made my decission in a split second and instaraised. I think if the river is a third 2 instead, the play is to raise, trying to fold AK, AQ.

About preflop, this is not standard for me. I just figured the button could see this as a "fish isolation" attempt and 3-bet rather lightly and I didn't mind an extra bet and initiative with the "fish overlay" I got from the cap.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:47 AM

Raising this river makes no sense to me. He's betting into two guys, he KNOWS at least one of you has an ace and will probably call. He looks like he wants a call, so raising seems much too aggressive.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like you can fold and let the button "keep him honest."
Old 06-21-2006, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising this river makes no sense to me. He's betting into two guys, he KNOWS at least one of you has an ace and will probably call. He looks like he wants a call, so raising seems much too aggressive.

The more I look at this, the more it looks like you can fold and let the button "keep him honest."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're overestimating the brain capacity of 85vpip fish. It's not that uncommon to see them betting into 2-3 players with air on scary rivers even when the turn has been bet. Some people love to bet scare cards.
Old 06-21-2006, 10:13 AM

If the fish really is that bad, then I prefer to call.