Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Re: 2/4 KK hand on button

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He would have to be an idiot to raise the flop if he were on a draw because he needs at least one person to cold call the raise to make it a value raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I would play something like a flush draw with overs this way. Notice too that many in the CO's spot will call with almost any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you not bet out and hope for the button to raise?
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He would have to be an idiot to raise the flop if he were on a draw because he needs at least one person to cold call the raise to make it a value raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I would play something like a flush draw with overs this way. Notice too that many in the CO's spot will call with almost any two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you not bet out and hope for the button to raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be fine, but look at what is happening. We are talking about folding an over pair because of his flop c/r. Presumably you would fold overcards without a second thought. This is a fairly big pot. Taking it down with the worst hand would be quite a coup. Now, the presence of the short-stacked CO makes the whole thing a little more complicated. In this particular case, betting out is better than it normally would be because of the chance that CO will throw in his $3 and you will get to re-raise if enough people come along, even if button doesn't raise. (I am not sure about Party's policy on whether half a bet constitutes reopening the betting, but you get my point.)

I am not necessarily saying the c/r-ing with a strong draw is the best play. I am simply saying it is not 'idiotic'.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:49 AM

grunch, and I ignored the results too.

The flop C/R screens protection raise, not draw. A strong made hand or a draw by a decent player would call for a donk on the flop to trap the field for a bet before your likely flop raise. Pair with top kicker, two pair, something like that. You should 3-bet, and if capped, you'll have the feel that its more likely two pair than a weak pair. You can proceed from there on the turn.

Given that turn card and the way BB played his hand on the flop, I don't hate the check behind but you prolly should have bet.

The only realistic hand you could hold as the PFR that scares him with the 5 coming is 99 and even then, kinda unlikely. That said, his check suggests either weak-tight play or a trap. You might be able to bet him off his hand there. You also invited him to run at you on the river, which he did. I favor betting the turn, and calling a raise and releasing on the river UI.