Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: 5/10 - QQ - 15BB challenge

[ QUOTE ]
the river didn't change anything...but what hands are calling here that you beat?

the button's flop cold-call and then turn check-through when the flush card hits is a little odd.

it looks like he has a weak ace and is afraid that you or SB has him outkicked.

I'd check this river and hope to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]
Will button call more hands than he'll bet? Probably. Will button bet trip aces after getting checked to twice? Yes. If you're planning to call a river bet, you should bet instead.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:38 AM

How do you not cap QQ preflop with a raiser and another guy pumping dead money in?

I would have folded the flop when bet into and not closing the action.

Haupt_234
Old 06-09-2006, 10:05 AM

To not cap preflop and then raise a flop with an ace on it is the strangest thing ever.

With respect to the river bet,

An observant "thinking" opponent may not call you down the whole way with any pair just because. But they will show down a lot of pairs for one bet at the river when you bet at a river card that is unlikely to have helped you. If he has a hand like JJ, 99, 88, 77 and the like, he probably intended to fold the turn UI but because of your suspicious behavior, he'll put in a bet to show it down.

And if the button was too scared to bet an ace on the turn, he'll probably be too scared to raise the river with one so im not too worried about him waking up here for that reason.

I think a lot of whether or not you should value bet the river depends on how much you've been raising and betting lately. If you've made several consequtive steal attempts that werent shown down prior to this (or if they were shown down, had you with sketchy hands), then it's a really easy value bet since you might get called with as little as KQ high. If they view you as so passive that you'd only bet an ace or better here, you have bigger problems than the value of the bet itself.

I'd want to be able to comfortably fold to a raise to make this value bet though - or if not, know that the button will VERY frequently bluff raise when he thinks the bettor is weak. Basically, i like easy decisions. If you have such little info on all of them, check/call is safer.

And the turn action is difficult. The obvious draw got there and the ace is still lingering. I'd rather bet/fold than check/call, but i think you can almost check/fold unless the button is an auto-bet-monkey.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded the flop when bet into and not closing the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you hadn't capped it preflop?

-McGee