Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Early UFC 61 Lines Up at Pinnacle

Mosta,

First off it was Rich FRANKLIN and losing to Rich Franklin is nothing to be assahmed of. Second, Ken obviously did not take a dive against Rich FRANKLIN. He actually had Rich's leg and was close to subbing him. Ken actually went for a high kick slipped and then FRANKLIN pounced and Ken and finished him. There was no reason for this fight to be a work. Why would Ken want to intentionally lose on UFC's biggest stage EVER?

But you are right about Shamrock needing to retire along time ago.

Tuds
Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mosta,

First off it was Rich FRANKLIN and losing to Rich Franklin is nothing to be assahmed of. Second, Ken obviously did not take a dive against Rich FRANKLIN. He actually had Rich's leg and was close to subbing him. Ken actually went for a high kick slipped and then FRANKLIN pounced and Ken and finished him. There was no reason for this fight to be a work. Why would Ken want to intentionally lose on UFC's biggest stage EVER?

But you are right about Shamrock needing to retire along time ago.

Tuds

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I recognize that the ground play early in the fight was exciting. (And I'm still not sure whether Shamrock's slip wasn't a clever take down.) But when they got back to their feet it looked to me like he was standing there with his hands down when he got finished (and maybe before then too, it's hazy now). I was shocked at the time. How that theory squares with the first half of the fight I don't know. But as I recall his hands were at his waist when he was hit, like he was waiting for it. And when he went down he didn't look knocked out, but he made not gesture even to defend himself.

Maybe it's not true, but at least I'm not the only one to hvae a question:

"And when people do speak of Franklin’s TKO of Shamrock, most of the time it’s a ridiculous discussion about whether Shamrock took a dive.

“I don’t even listen to that crap,” Franklin said about some fans and media claiming the Shamrock fight was a sham. “After every fight, there is always something. ..."

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=2916

(and others, not that they know...:

http://www.extremefitness.com/forum/...p/t-44456.html

http://www.kampfkunst-board.info/for...ck-fake-27120/

http://ufc.tribe.net/thread/d0a9540b...a-fe1eb98bf4d0 )
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 PM

also:

"THE SHAMROCK VS. FRANKLIN FIGHT LOOKED FIXED
The Shamrock vs. Franklin fight looked like a pretty obvious work to me. Even worse than the Frye and Shamrock fight in PRIDE. I bet Zuffa made it worth Ken's trouble to throw that fight. What's your take on the fight?
- The Real Big Pun

Tape Lord's reply: Big Pun, we may never know the truth, but Shamrock's phantom flop looks very funny. Shamrock also let go of a heel hook that he appeared to have a good hold of. Shamrock didn't even try to defend himself when Franklin started throwing some strikes from inside Ken's guard.

Also, Franklin recieved an 8-fight deal BEFORE the fight with Shamrock, whereas Shamrock was on the last fight of his deal.

Finally, the fight was slated for three 5-minute rounds, plus the rest time between rounds, which comes out to about a 20-minute slot. Yet the fight was started with LESS then 15 minutes remaining in the broadcast??

Very funny fight in my humble opinion."

http://www.fightsport.com/fsport/fig...t_archive.html
Old 06-02-2006, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also:

- The Real Big Pun

T Shamrock also let go of a heel hook that he appeared to have a good hold of.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I wondered the same thing when I was watching it. I thought it was all over once Kenny got his leg, but then Ken just lets go. I thought he would hold on to that leg like a starving on a ham bone.

Shamrock did not throw the fight, but even if he did, who cares. He can't beat Rich Franklin anyway. He is an old washup legend. He is going to get destroyed by Tito. It will be like looking at a car wreck; gruesome but can't look away.

Tuds