Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Celtics let go of Telfair

Not done in the NBA (assuming he doesn't end up in jail). Not by a long shot. He's just too cheap at this point. Next year could very well be his last, though.

Frankly I think he's getting a bum deal with this weapons charge thing. I know he's had trouble with the law before, but I don't think it's dumb for most NBA guys to carry a piece. Pierce nearly got stabbed to death and has reported that he's been followed on his way home from games. Anyway, just a thought.. I don't want this to turn into a gun control thread.

From the Cs standpoint, if they wanted to cut ties with him, this situation brought a logical reason to.

How bad is Bassy kicking himself for passing up on Louisville? His stock drop is much, much worse than Kwame Brown's.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How bad is Bassy kicking himself for passing up on Louisville? His stock drop is much, much worse than Kwame Brown's.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is there to make you assume that he wouldn't have gotten in trouble / had his stock drop at Louisville? If that had happened, he'd have even less money than he does now.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM

It's certainly not a failsafe, and you're right, he'd be a few mil poorer. He himself might not care all that much, which is fine. But a kid who's THAT dominant in HS doesn't enter college and suddenly lose it. He would've been outstanding, and he probably would've learned a thing or two about the game of basketball. Even if he didn't dominate or learn anything, he would've entered the NBA with much more realistic expectations.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:34 PM

not surprising at all. This kid should have gone to college, however if you watched his documentary you can see why he went pro. I was never a fan of his game, but I hope he can turn things around. He needs to get out of the hood and concentrate on ball or else he will be in Greece like his brother.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Frankly I think he's getting a bum deal with this weapons charge thing. I know he's had trouble with the law before, but I don't think it's dumb for most NBA guys to carry a piece. Pierce nearly got stabbed to death and has reported that he's been followed on his way home from games.

[/ QUOTE ]

There would be no reason that Pierce couldn't get a concealed carry permit, and a waiver of team rules on gun possession, esp. because of these issues.

Telfair didn't have any permit, was busted for carrying one on a plane, was told never to carry a gun, knew it was team policy for no player to carry a gun, and still did it again. Do you think he really tried to get a permit or team permission?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:55 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

"ny = where hes from + steph (his cousin)"

steph and him do not get along
Old 04-24-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't know this. Why is that?
Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't know this. Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes they do.

he went to his court hearing the other day and he has spoken in favor of sebastian a couple of times.

i know steph and bassy had one little fight, but in general they are really close.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frankly I think he's getting a bum deal with this weapons charge thing. I know he's had trouble with the law before, but I don't think it's dumb for most NBA guys to carry a piece. Pierce nearly got stabbed to death and has reported that he's been followed on his way home from games.

[/ QUOTE ]

There would be no reason that Pierce couldn't get a concealed carry permit, and a waiver of team rules on gun possession, esp. because of these issues.

Telfair didn't have any permit, was busted for carrying one on a plane, was told never to carry a gun, knew it was team policy for no player to carry a gun, and still did it again. Do you think he really tried to get a permit or team permission?

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant a bum deal from the media and fans and such. I'm not excusing his actions. He knows the law, and he knows his situation. But on CelticsBlog and in papers there's a heavy tone of "good riddance. what a punk".. and while he very well may be a punk, I don't think this proves that or anything. He's just dumb.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
... while he very well may be a punk, I don't think this proves that or anything. He's just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ] I never got the impression that he was a punk. He never even seemed "ghetto", he just seemed naive and immature. He is the perfect example of being too young and inexperienced for the league. In essence, he personifies the very problem that the minimum age rule was put in place to prevent.

However, maybe he was a punk. In his documentary, he says his brother basically "groomed" him to be presentable and likable. His brother wanted him to be drafted and knew that if he was going to have a chance, he had to project a clean image. Maybe it was a facade? I have doubts though.