Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Ivey > Aba, PA, Durr, Zigmund, Krantz, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ivey is obviously better than all these online superstars that won't last, look @ brad booth, dude was huge and now he's broke, cts can't afford nosebleed no more and Aba keeps losing heads up to Ivey. Ivey is god. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like Ivey's game more if he didn't have the tendency to leave a game when he gets down. That seems to indicate that he knows he has tilting problems in spite of his image. If he was truly a poker god, he'd have no need to leave games like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

lawlz
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this is kind of backwards...obv in a perfect world the perfect player would NEVER tilt...but there is not a poker player on earth including reese, barry, etc that does not tilt...this making ivey's decision to stop playing +ev...at this level, noones edge is that huge, so it would not be correct for ivey to play no matter what...if he only plays when he is +ev vs players who are going to play when they tilt...it gives him a HUGE edge long run

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but Ivey leaves games a LOT when he gets even 40-50k or so down. When I'm watching one of his games and he does that, I don't think "what a poker god" when he takes his ball and goes home. If a 40k loss would tend to tilt someone who plays at Ivey's stakes then he tilts much too easily. It would be differenet if he did the same thing after a 200k downswing- that kind of money could tilt anyone.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

this is kind of backwards...obv in a perfect world the perfect player would NEVER tilt...but there is not a poker player on earth including reese, barry, etc that does not tilt...this making ivey's decision to stop playing +ev...at this level, noones edge is that huge, so it would not be correct for ivey to play no matter what...if he only plays when he is +ev vs players who are going to play when they tilt...it gives him a HUGE edge long run

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but Ivey leaves games a LOT when he gets even 40-50k or so down. When I'm watching one of his games and he does that, I don't think "what a poker god" when he takes his ball and goes home. If a 40k loss would tend to tilt someone who plays at Ivey's stakes then he tilts much too easily. It would be differenet if he did the same thing after a 200k downswing- that kind of money could tilt anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is simply because your "poker god" is far fetched...in a game with this much variance, vs players who are at the top level, the actual playing edge when both players are in good mindsets is very small...if ivey leaves after losing 40K, it is because he feels he is now trying to get unstuck and putting him in a bad mindset giving his opponent a bigger edge.

this was shown perfectly yesterday as he got up early on rugby and stayed at the table while rugby was trying to get unstuck and walked away with 400K+...this is really the optimal way to play and most people here would i think agree that if they had the power to do this, would have better results
Old 07-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Ivey > Aba, PA, Durr, Zigmund, Krantz, etc. *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids
Old 07-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Ivey > Aba, PA, Durr, Zigmund, Krantz, etc. *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids
Old 07-19-2007, 03:32 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like Ivey's game more if he didn't have the tendency to leave a game when he gets down. That seems to indicate that he knows he has tilting problems in spite of his image. If he was truly a poker god, he'd have no need to leave games like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your buy your own premise here (which I do not), then you ABSOLUTELY DETEST aba's game, correct? Remember, just a few days ago he tilted so bad after The Owl picked off his $600k bluff, that he couldn't even rack-up under his own power & had the floor do it for him...
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i feel a 1 day ban for telling the truth

[/ QUOTE ]
let's hope not. but dids is a hatefull fatboy. I think more racial/ethnic jokes should be tolerated. You can say "I hope you die" and "..greasefire..." but not "blacks are good at sports" or "jews are rich". dids is a horrible mod when it comes to censorship.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If your buy your own premise here (which I do not), then you ABSOLUTELY DETEST aba's game, correct? Remember, just a few days ago he tilted so bad after The Owl picked off his $600k bluff, that he couldn't even rack-up under his own power & had the floor do it for him...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am a big fan of Aba's skill and general approach to the game. You are describing a devastating individual hand, which understandably tilted him. In general, I like how Aba thinks/knows he's +ev against the overwhelming majority of players he encounters and so he's more than happy to keep playing even after he's down 300-400k or whatever. I think Ivey has the poker skill and bankroll to take that same appraoch, but for whatever reason he usually elects to leave the table instead.

Ivey is clearly one of the best players in the world- I'm just saying that his routinely leaving when he gets 40-50k down is an aspect of his game that Aba doesn't have and that I don't think is a strong point in Ivey's game.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ivey is obviously better than all these online superstars that won't last, look @ brad booth, dude was huge and now he's broke, cts can't afford nosebleed no more and Aba keeps losing heads up to Ivey. Ivey is god. Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ridiculous. there's something to be said for playing through bad cards but if you know you are tilting and choose to stay at the table to spew your chips then you are a moron.