Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: TPTK get 3-bet on flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Either call the flop and raise the turn cuz you love your hand, or call down cuz youre scared.

I would never cap the flop in this spot becuz this strategy is dominated by another strategy if we make one very realistic assumption. Assuming the SB is not folding a pair to a flop cap, getting alot to 1, waiting to raise the turn gives us the best combination of value and maximum protection in what is now a large pot.

A few other ancillary benefits to not capping the flop is we get to see if SB caps or not which can help us refine our turn strategy, and if a a bad card like a heart hits the turn we can always revert to a "get to the showdown cheaply" strategy if we believe our hand is no longer valuable enough to be worth protecting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we can assume that SB never will fold a pair here, since he's been agressive with very weak pairs before.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless of what we do here, what are we doing if it's 2 bets to us on a blank turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

the answer to that definitely depends on whether or not we cap, if we do it looks like a pretty easy fold, if we don't it's a crying call imo.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:23 PM

somebody asked last week for examples of when to wait for the turn to raise. As ILP has clearly pointed out (and given good reasoning behind) this is exactly one of those situations. Your equity is likely to change significantly on the turn based on what drops, and you can neith maximize your value or protect your hand on the flop. However if you merely call the BB 3-bettor is very likely to bet out on the turn and your raise will insure that everyone has to pay 2 bets to see the river, thus you maximize your value when ahead, and protect your hand from the SB as much as possible.

If it comes 2 back to me on the turn on a blank I think I am calling if I did not cap, but it is a tough spot. I would probably be willing to see a SD for 3 BB on the turn and river assuming no heart came, but if I think the SB is going to bet, 3-bet I'm not sure what to do. very good question leader.