Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 09:04 AM

Default Re: navarro book - out soon?

Hmm...found one thing that's suspect. One of the images in the book shows a player "being more excited" after hitting trip kings on the turn against his opponent's made set of queens on the flop. I'd be like 'yay! hope!' but not that thrilled.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I noticed that image on page 105. Did they not realize that his opponent made Queens full of Kings when he hit his trip Kings on the turn. The caption mentions that the guy had made trip Kings versus his opponents trip Queens, so I guess it got past Hellmuth and the editors. Horrible mistake, especially when the caption was discussing the importance of observation.

One other mistake that annoyed me was when they discussed pursed lips or lip pursing, but spelling it lip pursuing or pursued lips a few times.

It seemed like the book was stretching to hit the 200 page mark for some reason, but the information was pretty good. Annie Duke mentions something on her DVD about blinking rates, which I was looking forward to reading by Mr. Navarro, but he made no mention of it. This makes me think he has some more good stuff for another book in the future if this one does well.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I noticed that image on page 105. Did they not realize that his opponent made Queens full of Kings when he hit his trip Kings on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
(I don't have the book; I'm just going by what I've read in this thread.)

The caption is wrong, but that shouldn't affect the validity of the tell. The guy with trip kings doesn't put his opponent on a flopped set, so he'd still be excited to hit his trips on the turn. Moreover, recognizing his excitement is valuable to the guy with queens full because he knows he can bet more now (or check-raise or otherwise try to maximize the amount that goes into the pot without worrying about a fold by his opponent).
Old 11-10-2006, 07:42 PM

No, both hands are turned over and they are in a showdown. It's just a mess up. They are trying to say the guy is standing in excitement because he has just hit trip Kings over his opponents flopped set of Queens. But I do see your point, I see where you are coming from since you haven't seen the book.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:33 PM

I think we're all missing the point here. Phil Hellmuth has reached a level in poker wherein he can change the value of hands like Marty changing history in Back to the Future. Doesn't anyone recognize his greatness???
Old 11-10-2006, 11:17 PM

1)The guy might see the King on the turn and think "YES!...AH DAMNIT!"

2)The picture is on another level of thought. One of the key lessons is to pay attention to everything and figure out everything you observe. You noticed the error by paying attention to everything.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The picture is on another level of thought. One of the key lessons is to pay attention to everything and figure out everything you observe. You noticed the error by paying attention to everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa!
Old 11-11-2006, 12:26 PM

Phil Hellmuth is testing us all !!!
Old 11-11-2006, 03:53 PM

One cool thing about the book is it's making my old WPT and WSOP DVDs fun to watch again. I already watched a few episodes and found a couple of tells. It is tough to see the pros really giving any off. Hoyt Corkins is the only pro I have found that has given any tells that were discussed in the book so far, but I will probably find more. Gus Hansen seems to use the concealment techniques discussed in the book. He never gives anything away.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One cool thing about the book is it's making my old WPT and WSOP DVDs fun to watch again. I already watched a few episodes and found a couple of tells. It is tough to see the pros really giving any off. Hoyt Corkins is the only pro I have found that has given any tells that were discussed in the book so far, but I will probably find more. Gus Hansen seems to use the concealment techniques discussed in the book. He never gives anything away.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how realiable are WSOP/WPT's episodes? In terms of editing I mean. I remember in Moneymaker's book saying he didn't take off his glasses vs Boyd on that big hand between them, it was a different hand.