Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Moving up from $25NL to $50NL?

[ QUOTE ]
Just a suggestion but what I did was buy in for just 60 bb $30.00 for the first few times till I got a feel for the bigger bet sizes. Worked ok for me.
GL

[/ QUOTE ]

Either buy-in full or short-stack it if you are underolled and know how to play a good shortstack strategy. Buying in for 60BB is dumb because it puts you in awkward spots with your stack. Getting used to the bigger bet sizes really doesn't take more than 50 hands to get used to...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:11 PM

Don't buy in short, unless you have a problem with the swings/cash.. I won't give the players at this level much credit, but it is a leap from $25nl. I also see that a lot of people working/learing their game at this level. My winrate at this level was less than half my NL25 winrate.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:22 PM

I play 50NL now and I've gone through the jump twice. I would usually play 6-8 tables of 25NL without a problem. If you have never played 50NL before or even if you want to get comfortable with the minor adjustments you need to make, I cut the amount of my tables in half like 3-4 so I could observe more about the new level. It does depend on the site as well in terms of the difference of the game. Personally I don't think shortstacking is advisable as to get used to the level, you need to get used to the 100BB stack. Sitting on a 50-60 BB stack is not going to do much for you learning wise as you still have to get used to the raises being larger and people calling c-bets more often among other things.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Bankroll Bankroll Bankroll!!!!

The best possible thing you can do is have a big enough bank roll so that losing 200$ in a day or a couple of hours is no big deal to you.. with a 1K roll i moved up to 50NL from 25NL a few months ago and i made 300$ 4-tabling in like 1k hands in the first few days. i was thinking wow. piece of cake. WRONG! several days after that my roll was down to $850. not only was i not good enough at 50NL to pull off a comparable rate to 25NL, but i quickly found that the loss of a few buyins was getting to me, affecting my play. went back to 25NL, sharpened up my play and in the last month built my roll to about 2300$. if i were to play today at 50NL i would be more than confident because even if i lose 300$ right off the bat, i wouldnt really feel it.

Bankroll Bankroll Bankroll!!!!

like today i play 25NL and i dont fear my opponents. i dont care if they have sets, i just play the hands right and if i lose a couple of buyins, big whoop! thats all thanks to my BR. at 50NL i would always be stunting my pots or making rediculous folds fearing the worst because the money was in my head.

I will move back up soon now that my skills are better and i have confidence backed by BR. just need money right now so i am going with what i know and taking the $12.50/hour
Old 08-12-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't buy in short, unless you have a problem with the swings/cash.. I won't give the players at this level much credit, but it is a leap from $25nl. I also see that a lot of people working/learing their game at this level. My winrate at this level was less than half my NL25 winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

after 16k hands at NL50 i was making HALF not double(as i expected) my hourly rate at 25NL. but i was a bad NL50 player...
Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buying in for 60BB is dumb because it puts you in awkward spots with your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

with 50-60 you can raise preflop and bet all 3 streets against one opponent, can't you?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

with 50-60 you can raise preflop and bet all 3 streets against one opponent, can't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you are a solid player and can stack others at the table , why would you want to limit yourself to winning 50-60 bb?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you are a solid player and can stack others at the table , why would you want to limit yourself to winning 50-60 bb?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only meant to address awkward stack size.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:43 PM

from my experience, i think 50NL is a lil bit tougher. Just try to avoid all the regulars and play really aggressive poker. I actually think there are more fish in NL100.