Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: 1st Hand, $5 HU SNG

I have played less than 40 HU matches, at $5 level on Stars. Maybe it's just bad luck, but aside from one or two hyperaggressives, I don't see people doing this with a hand I am far ahead of. It always seems to be 1010 or better, often a hand that is dominating me.

So yeah, I take the weak tight line. (which may be my problem?) I fold to the reraise. The blinds are still very small, and if he does this again, it will be easy to make the right decision the second time. I don't see the need to take this marginal call and hope for a 53-47 edge against 1010 or something, or hope you are up agaisnt a complete donkey doning it with QJ.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd call and see the flop and go from there. I'm not pushing all in pre flop because you are probably beat or coin flip at best, but I'd call instead of folding because you still have plenty of chips to make a comeback if you fold on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a joke. You're going to call off 1/3 of your stack and hope to hit a flop? LOL

You have to push here for a lot of reasons. First and foremost, its a $5 game. Most opponents are terrible at this level and I'd expect to see a whole host of hands in addition to QQ+,AQ+. Second, if your opponent was a thinking player, which he probably isnt, he might just see this as "taking control" on the first hand. His range is huge. Shove. If you lose, play another. Profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You read my mind. I was thinking about them just pushing me around because it was the 1st hand, it was a $5 game, and that if they was playing around with a hand like A9 or a pair of 4's, they might call the push. So I pushed, they instacalled with Kings, and I sucked out by hitting an Ace on the flop.

Also just finished playing my first 25 HU matches at Full Tilt after moving over from Doyle's Room, and went 17-8 for for a 68% win rate. Ran good, but also had a few horrible beats put on me. Might be more fish, might be different blind structure. Also, for those who care, I played over 500 HU SNG matches at Doyle's Room and won 59.5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess this justifies what I felt. I would have put him on KK or at least a medium pair where I am a coin flip. See the flop, if that Ace hits you are golden, or maybe you get a flop with a couple diamonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid... screenname please? Decisions not results...you can say, "I was justified- the ace hit didn't it?" That is like calling and getting runner runner straight flush against the nut flush or some stupid crap like that.

Clearly the best move is miniraise. HAHA great.

Nicho is right on (as usual...)

The guy up there who did tons of math is way off. First of all he has a HUGE range considering he'd do this sometimes just for fun ($5 game) And also you have SOME fold equity... It is easily push or fold for you... and I'd push everytime.

Also, for those who care, I played over 500 HU SNG matches at Doyle's Room and won 59.5%.

poorly veiled brag?
Old 03-02-2007, 05:26 PM

Sweet forum. A guy gives his opinion and you get a bunch of people calling you a moron instead of respectfully disagreeing. Whatever.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 PM

People do this type of [censored] with K9s in 5 dollar games.

I'd Sharkscope the guy first if possible, if he has a ROI% of -10% or higher he's prolly doing this all the time.

I ran into a lot of ppl that did this first hand at the 5 dollars, they really seem to disappear at the 10 dollar level though.

Yea you run into Kings once in awhile, but more often than not AQ is definitely ahead, and I think it's higher than 56% of the time, I definitely think you're ahead over 60% of the time and I would shove.

You also have the time factor which only helps the case for shoving this.

Also, a lot of these guys are going to come over the top during the whole match way too aggressively, and starting out down to 1300 chips is a big disadvantage. I like to get comfortable and raise my raising hands, these guys reshove over your raises preflop very often, so in order to get the best chance to have the best hand to go in on when they shove you, you want as many chips as possible throughout the match. Another reason you might call this in addition to the advantages listed above.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You read my mind. I was thinking about them just pushing me around because it was the 1st hand, it was a $5 game, and that if they was playing around with a hand like A9 or a pair of 4's, they might call the push. So I pushed, they instacalled with Kings, and I sucked out by hitting an Ace on the flop.

Also just finished playing my first 25 HU matches at Full Tilt after moving over from Doyle's Room, and went 17-8 for for a 68% win rate. Ran good, but also had a few horrible beats put on me. Might be more fish, might be different blind structure. Also, for those who care, I played over 500 HU SNG matches at Doyle's Room and won 59.5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, keep it up. As Rob said, the results for this hand dont matter. You were right to push and, at least in $5 husng's, you will be a winning player if this situation happened every time the first hand.

Nichomacheo
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM

Normally a call, 5 dollar game first hand... easy push
Old 03-09-2007, 09:56 AM

fold.

you don't need to gamble with a $5 HU SNG player. he probably has a mid PP such as 88 or 77. i don't like the call idea because you are likely facing a push on the flop and even then you may be dominated.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM

But against the range of hands a 5 dollar player is going all in with on the first hand... you're ahead at least 60-40.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:17 PM

I'm all in.

I would gamble and go all in. Increases your hourly rate and you are ahead 69,2% of the time.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:47 AM

I call here. Why would you want to gamble when you don't know your opponent? Who is better player? You or he? I suppose you, otherwise you would not post here. So you have to call to see the flop and you still have chips to outplay him (dont know the structure of Full tilt, but on stars I get 1500 chips)

I don't like all in call on a first hand unless shakrscope says the guy is a moron or on super tilt. I believe I am a better player and that is why I avoid such gambles early in tourny.