Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: How do you control swings/tilt/FEELINGS

[ QUOTE ]
first, recognize when you are tilting. if you want to get revenge on another player, you're tilting. if you are anxious to get a good hand, you're tilting. if you're constantly dwelling about how bad you're running, you're tilting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man did this hit home for me because I was doing all these things. Last couple of days I was running cold and just grumbling about it when I took some really bad suck-out beats from one particular player who was playing the crappiest hands and hitting one after the other. I wanted to "get him", was getting angry at my lousy hole cards, and worrying about how much I was losing. So I started chasing 2-outers and losing more. It hit me that I was on my worst tilt ever. I'm taking a week off and even uninstalled my site software to make it harder to "cheat" on my layoff week. I'm going to spend the week re-reading some poker books and I hope I'll get my head back on straight.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:08 PM

i start tilting, or rather get a case of the boredom tilts when im playing the same type of cash game(online that is) for weeks on end. i normally play plo8, but i realized that after a few weeks of dead even play, i just dont want to play anymore - and if i do, i will get bored and play badly. but mixing it up and playing a tourney or another type of cash game helps me out alot.

now speaking of straight getting suckedout on when you had the nuts??? i just take a break and play counterstrike. shooting ppl in the face makes me feel alot better.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 PM

why couln't I put this here before?
Feelings are not to be controlled. Reactions are. So the best way to control a reaction is to delay it. Instead of just pushing allin or over playing weak hands or any other tilt reaction, you need to accept your tilt feelings and deal with them before you keep playing. If you are in a tourney and can’t stop, then you can tell yourself you will deal with the tilt feeling later, (the mind can be fooled this way, by telling yourself you will do it latter). Bonus, latter never comes. If you are in a tourney you must control you tilt reactions by realizing you will likely lose this tourney, but to have any chance at all you need think clearly; if that means missing a few hands then so be it.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM

I use a method called the sedona method which is a mental technique that helps to release negative feelings like anger and fear. I use it to prevent tilt when I get a bad beat and it helps quite a bit but if I get to pissed I just quite for an hour or so.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:41 AM

Why you gonna tilt, man?

Are you pro, sem-pro? Serious amateur with aspirations?

Think about it. You have enough to eat. You have a roof. You have shoes. You are a free human being. What it do?

People are attaching things to poker that have nothing to do with poker, and that is where a lot of these problems really come from. People want recognition, quick money, egotistical satisfaction ("I straight-up OUTPLAYED that m.f.!!," etc.), and these things actually have no place in the game.

Understand that as long as you are playing correctly, you cannot help but show an earn.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:01 AM

You need to become an emotionless machine, meaning if u win a buyin its w/e who cares? If u lose a buyin its w/e who cares? Youre goal as a player is to get all your money in the middle when u are ahead. Nothing else matters, just get your money in the middle when u are a favorite, win or lose, keep grinding sir.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:10 AM

see above ^^.

He's got it right.
As long as you do that, you'll HAVE to profit.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:04 PM

tof since emotions is what got u hooked with the game in the 1st place.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing you can do if you have AA, raise, one guy calls another reraises BIG i flat call, flop comes kqj, you cant do much if he has KK. You could have went all in he would have won it either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fold on the flop under most circumstances fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, i would rather say no to a threesome with elle mcpherson and jennifer hawkins than flat call that rr pf. Why not just rrraise pf, then shove the flop?
Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 AM

I don't know if you have tried multitabling... but for those who haven't, I have found that this has had benefits in relation to my propensity to tilt. More tables = less time to see longer term results, plus you cant afford to tilt when you are playing more tables. Conversely, tilt will have a greater effect on your results if you do tilt while multitabling... But I think the general rule is if you feel you are tilting, quit for the night.

Good discussion btw