Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Dealer sticking it to the player?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Still, BSG did pay $300+ to play, he doesn't need the dealer screwing with his table image in a tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then BSG should have acted like he payed $300 and not like a little biatch because of a couple second delay. His table image was shot after that anyways. Unless he wanted to look like a prick.

[/ QUOTE ]

dealers should expect some level of hostilities as part of the job. it's like being a corrections officer, your working for [censored]. It's no excuse to not be professional. Intentially exposing a player's hand is unprofessional.

BSG is a douchebag but that's beside the point.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Accidents happen. BSG sounds like an unpleasant nit. Try treating the dealer like a person and not a machine and maybe accidents like that won't happen.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I worked as a busboy throughout college, and rememeber my experiences with bad customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell us some of your occupational revenge stories too then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, as a busboy the power to exact revenge is limited; it's not like I could spit in their food or anything, and even if I could, they normally haven't pissed me off until after they've been served.

The big busboy revenge weapon would be to spill something on the customer while taking away their plates, but I am too much of a pussy to pull off such a bold maneuver. Also, if the customer has pissed you off AND accidentally leaves something behind when they leave (e.g. sunglasses), you could throw them away instead of chasing them down, but that perfect storm of the forgetful & annoying customer never happenned with me.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM

Default The Dealer Was Wrong To Begin With

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer takes out the new deck, and as he does, the player in seat 2 asks the dealer if he knows how many people are in the tournament. The dealer puts down the deck, looks around the room, and begins to say "looks like about 300 or so..." when a Big Surly guy (BSG) in seat 6, apparently upset with the 10 second delay that this exchange took, jumps in and says to the dealer "Stop talking and start shuffling".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Big Surly Player was a bit rude, BUT the dealer should NEVER have put down the deck and stopped what he was doing just to look around the room and answer that question. That is WRONG procedure for the dealer, period.

...and YES dealers are supposed to act like machines while in the box...and YES I've been a dealer (back when the standard tip was 50 cents and good performance was EXPECTED and DEMANDED)..and YES that is EXACTLY how you are supposed to deal, like the BEST machine you can possibly be, running the game as efficiently as possible while you are in the box for that 20 or 30 minute down...that's the JOB, dealing...not talking with players while in the box...

You say "hello, everyone" while you sit down, thank players after each tip, RUN THE GAME, RUN THE GAME, RUN THE GAME...and then thank the table when you get up. You never stop the action to chat with a player, EVER.

The dealer was 100% wrong if he even thought he should be "taking revenge" on the player for the above incident. Yes, the player was tactless and could have said it more nicely or said nothing at all--but the dealer, not the player, was in the wrong. The player has a right to expect that his tournament table will not be needlessly delayed compared to the other tournament tables for such a trivial reason.

There is no excuse to hold up the game to chat with a player.

Also, as Mason says, dealers talking in the box is the #1 cause of dealer error.

Edited: Dealers, when in the box: 1. RUN YOUR GAME 2. PAY ATTENTION 3. ALWAYS KNOW WHERE THE ACTION IS, 4. DON'T CHAT...that is all!

P.S. Dealers: you will also get more hands out and have happier customers and get more tips this way.

Thank you.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 PM

I really don't know how you can conclude that this was intentional. These things happen.

As a dealer I don't worry about revenge against players, but if I was going to seek "revenge" I really think I could come up with something better than flipping over mucked cards.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: The Dealer Was Wrong To Begin With

[ QUOTE ]

The dealer was 100% wrong if he even thought he should be "taking revenge" on the player for the above incident. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get off saying that is was intentional? There was no where in the OP that he said it was 100% instentional. You weren't there and dealing the game, don't pass judgement as it could have been 100% accident. What if the dealer heard a player ask to see the hand and the OP didn't? Just because the dealer supposedly said "sorry"? That doesn't mean someone didn't ask. Seems no one has thought about that one in this thread.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The dealer was 100% wrong if he even thought he should be "taking revenge" on the player for the above incident. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do you get off saying that is was intentional? There was no where in the OP that he said it was 100% instentional. You weren't there and dealing the game, don't pass judgement as it could have been 100% accident. What if the dealer heard a player ask to see the hand and the OP didn't? Just because the dealer supposedly said "sorry"? That doesn't mean someone didn't ask. Seems no one has thought about that one in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

A - you're misquoting MMMMMMMMMM, he isn't saying that the dealer 100% did this on purpose.

B -
[ QUOTE ]
I think there was no way this was a coincidence

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Photoc, I don't think there's any question that it was intentional. That's not the issue.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:43 PM

I love how everyone holds dealers up to this standard of Princes and chivalrist noblemen.

Have you ever had bad service with a waiter? Did you live? Did you write a 4 paragraph paper on how wrong it is?

Did he spit in your food? Are you sure?

I once dealt a guy out four hands in a row because he wouldn't put his chips anywhere NEAR where I could reach. He used the whole "I don't speak English line" so unfortunately he couldn't tell me he got dealt out, again, and again.... and again. This miserable guy at the other end of the table almost died of a heart attack when he realized what was going on and called the floor, the floor held back his laughter and talked to the guy.

My boss must speak Chinese or somethin cuz those antes where right on that line every single time.

The guy had a habit of breaking tables up with his body odor, not cool.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Photoc, I don't think there's any question that it was intentional. That's not the issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the issue is, that lately everytime someone has the slightest thing happen or see something happen we get this huge report of every detail and so on. Like it's ever going to really matter in the long run.