Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Is is ever ok to slow roll?

I have ~5000 hours of live poker experience and have never slowrolled anybody on purpose. I've been tempted a few times but thought better of it. I'm sure i could dream up a scenario where i would slowroll somebody but that situation hasn't come up yet.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:39 AM

I might slow roll some dood that's clearly obnoxious, winning ridiculous pots and seems confident that his hand would win. I've never come across this situation, but if I did, I think I would slow roll just to put them on tilt. Basically for my own entertainment ... Andy Kauffman styley
Old 04-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Always ethical, always obnoxious. There's nothing "wrong" about it, it's just childish.

Anyone who thinks slowrolling is somehow unethical needs to rethink the fact that they're playing poker. The point is to take money from other people through deception. How is teasing them - that's essentially what slowrolling is - unethical compared to that? It's just unnecessary and -EV.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:44 PM

There's a reason that Unsportsmanlike Conduct in football is the maximum penalty of 15 yards.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:28 PM

NEVER EVER EVER
Old 04-13-2007, 06:46 PM

Depends on whether you think it's ever OK to be a dick to a dick in public. Before you answer, think of how you're going to appear to other people, who may not be aware of the entire context. To them, you yourself might be the huge d-bag who could use being slowrolled once or twice.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:48 PM

I don't think i could ever actually do it, but there was one night when the player was such a jerk I would have like to have done it if i had the chance. He is a big-shot doctor, plays in the high stakes games. He was sitting in 2-5NL super deep just dropping bills into the pot, basically making the game super juicy. He lost a big pot to a player on the other side of table, an asian man in a wheelchair, kind of scraggly beard. The guy just starts insulting him, saying things about how ugly he is and if he were that ugly he would kill himself. The doctor is laughing with his buddy and some chick next to him, and the poor guy on the other side of the table is just silent. I've heard people get angry, but never direct insults like this.

oh well, thanks for the replies... though I've never heard of a floor instructing no slowrolling.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:21 PM

Those guys that push and then say "oh no, look what I've done, I only meant to call", and then flip the nuts, or those that look at you and tell you "I've got hand xyz" when you're in a pot, and then it turns out they don't.
That kind of people deserve all the slowrolls in the world, and then some.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you're trying to delineate between "OK"(ethical) and socially acceptable. It is never OK in the sense that if the other player asks the dealer or calls the floor and tells you not to slow roll, you will be reprimanded (assuming the rules are enforced). It may be socially acceptable(dealer may let it slide, people at the table will applaud) in situations if someone is being a Dbag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the rules of poker does it say slow rolling is prohibited?

Slow Rolling is bad etiquette, not against the rules...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're catching me on a technicality of a technicality I'm explaining.

To be expected.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or is the slowroll a move only employed by the biggest of d-bags, never by a 2+2er?

[/ QUOTE ]

the slowroll is a move only employed by the biggest of d-bags,