Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: there are racial and ethnic differences in IQ

I'm interested in how the people who claim there is no biological justification for race came to that conclusion. It seems to me "obvious" that Nancy Reagan is a good example of a white woman and Mohammed Ali is a good example of a black man. It doesnt matter to me that there are some people hard to classify by race (or even by gender) - it is still a meaningful and objective classification.

In a similar way - in Australia April is a warmer month than July - there are exceptionally warm july days and cold april days, it doesnt mean that the distinction is meaningless, though.

I have seen race defined as (something like) "A biologically distinct subdivision of a species possessing certain gene frequencies" in evolutionary biology textbooks. Under this definition it is incorrect to consider a race as a bunch of creatures all approximating some sort of "platonic ideal". It is also incorrect to state that all members of a particular racial group have certain characteristics. The definition is more probabilistic.

Would this sort of definition be useful in generating an objective measure?