Default Re: Busting my Outback cherry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Drew,

Morton's sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my previous post and apply it to Mortons which is terrible for the cost and good by free meal standards.

J
Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 AM

jay,

Exactly.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Bloomin Onion, Alice Springs chicken.

Outback is good. Saying Outback sucks is not like saying Papa Johns sucks.

Tug, I'm not sure where you're from, but different parts of the country have EXCELLENT pizza, and places like papa johns wouldn't do well there, because they just can't compete. Saying you don't care for papa johns is a legitimate statement that isn't made to impress others. I'll eat papa johns, its ok, just because its pizza... (The whole pizza and sex thing... even when its bad, its still good...)
Old 01-29-2007, 02:21 AM

I'll agree with Mortons hate. It's good, but it is mediocre for a top steakhouse.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:25 AM

FYI... I used to work at an Outback for about 5 years.

I've eaten at many different restaurants throughout the years, and Outback is definitely in the top tier of your standard chain restaurants. In my experience, the steaks are much better than Chili's, Applebees, Texas Roadhouse, and similar places. I suggest getting the Outback special as well, because the filet cuts can be a bit inconsistent. The special is usually a pretty good cut of meat for the price. The prime rib is very good (getting it earlier in the night is much better than closer to closing time), and their lamb is pretty decent as well.

Someone mentioned the fries and I must agree that I hate their fries by themselves (which are fresh cut throughout the night). But I do love the cheese fries (the spicy ranch is the key!). The appetizers are all pretty decent, and I happen to really love their wings. A little insider secret is to ask for them honey bbq style. Some servers will tell you that they won't do it, but the motto is "no rules, just right" so if they tell you they can't, talk to a manager!

As far as the different experiences people have had, it is definitely dependent on how good the cooks, servers, or prep teams are at each indicvidual place. Outback, as a company, has standards and specs of how everything should be handled, prepared, and cooked. Individuals can screw up this process though. When I worked, we went through a few different cooks, and you learned what to expect from whichever cooks were working the nights you worked. Some of them cooked the steaks more done than others, and some outright sucked.
Service-wise, there is some leeway for each server to present in a style that they are comfortable with. Our manager did not require us to sit down with the guests so I, for one, never sat down with my guests.

Outback is very good about using fresh ingredients, with most of the sauces, dressings, and such being prepared on site. Outback does not use a freezer for its meat either. Freshness of the food and ingredients was one of the things I was really surprised about when I first started working there.

For a decent meal, Outback isn't bad at all. Obviously not on par with high end places, but much better than most of the equivalent alternatives. I don't eat their as much as I used to, but am still usally pretty pleased with what I get (normally a 12 oz. sirloin w/ bleu cheese, potato soup, and the veggies or a loaded potato).

Any questions, I'll probably know the answer to so fire away (except about some of the newer stuff ie. the clam chowder which I have had and really liked!)
Old 01-29-2007, 02:30 AM

Why would they cut the fries fresh throughout the night? Its not like that would make for better fries.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:42 AM

Unused fries are thrown out at the end of the night, so they do not like to over cut them and then have them go to waste. They prep a bunch during the day, and then as needed will cut more throughout the night.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:45 AM

Do they not double fry them? I'm so confused.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:46 AM

wow.. patton.. you are awesome. i am gonna try that honey bbq style thing