Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Re: WOW just saw the anti net-neutrality \"mumbo jumbo\" ad

[ QUOTE ]
The funny/ironic thing here is that the usual suspects who are against monopolies, are lobbying for monopolies in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's why they're all pointing out that the problem is *caused* by government monopoly protection and the solution isn't to further regulate them but to *get rid of* that protection. Yep, lobbying for monopolies. Up is down!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Routers are software-updatable in minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, no. Sure routers have the *capability* to use things like BGP to auto-update routing tables, but it is almost never used due to the fluidity of peering agreements. The majority of backbone routing is all set up by hand.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So if Sprint wants to extort money from Google, all they do is throttle all packets going to or from Google on the backbone until they pay up whatever random figure they come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]
So why haven't they been doing this all along? Are they just too stupid over at Sprint? Do you really believe that Sprint would suffer no bad consequences from trying such a scheme?

[/ QUOTE ]

Previously, it was against FCC policy to allow such a thing. When the FCC policy went away is when the net-neutrality legislation was proposed.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The funny/ironic thing here is that the usual suspects who are against monopolies, are lobbying for monopolies in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's why they're all pointing out that the problem is *caused* by government monopoly protection and the solution isn't to further regulate them but to *get rid of* that protection. Yep, lobbying for monopolies. Up is down!

[/ QUOTE ]

They're all = who? The cable companies? haha, yeah right. The same companies that promised fiber to every home by 2006 in exchange for a couple hundred billion on concessions?

I'm all for competition, and/or lowering the barriers to entry. Just don't open the packets.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's not. You want to tell other people what business model to use. That's pretty much all there is to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's not it at all. There is exactly one business model that is prohibited, and that is an ISP leveraging their monopoly status to gain an unfair advantage in another market.

A far more realistic example than the Sprint vs. Google one used earlier in the thread would be a local ISP QoSing VoIP packets from third parties to promote their own VoIP service.

I say this is more realistic, because it in fact has already happened. The average call quality of Vonage calls on Comcast lines decreased markedly when Comcast started rolling out their own "Digital Voice" VoIP service.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Natural monopolies are a myth.

[/ QUOTE ]
Along with the holocaust, a spherical earth, and the female orgasm?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you can provide an example.

[/ QUOTE ]
BOOM HEADSHOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

If ACists stopped making posts like this, I suspect fewer people would find you guys to be juvenile douchebags.

"BOOM HEADSHOT!" ? Dude, you're on a [censored] internet message board. C'mon. You have a PM function. If you want to send pvn some ass-pats like this, do it via private message. If not that, I'm sure you guys have a mailing list for cheerleading each other on by now, right?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BOOM HEADSHOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

If ACists stopped making posts like this, I suspect fewer people would find you guys to be juvenile douchebags.

"BOOM HEADSHOT!" ? Dude, you're on a [censored] internet message board. C'mon. You have a PM function. If you want to send pvn some ass-pats like this, do it via private message. If not that, I'm sure you guys have a mailing list for cheerleading each other on by now, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
And the War on Cheerleading continues, I see...
Old 12-08-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BOOM HEADSHOT!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
ROFLMAO. Dude calm down it's OK.

Sorry if this makes me look like a 'juvenile douchebag'. I mean we already are nothing but a circle jerk of teenage sychophants, hell just being a juvenile douchebag is a step up in my book. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're all = who? The cable companies?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they = the "usual suspects."

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for competition, and/or lowering the barriers to entry. Just don't open the packets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give them to companies which have a policy about opening them. You're all for competition, as long as the competitors use a business model you like.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Routers are software-updatable in minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, no. Sure routers have the *capability* to use things like BGP to auto-update routing tables, but it is almost never used due to the fluidity of peering agreements. The majority of backbone routing is all set up by hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Set up by hand... in software. You don't have to "reproduce" any equipment.