Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Al Gore receives Nobel Peace Prize

You know, it's really too bad they don't give nobel prizes for science.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]
No it is not semantics to say he took the initiative in creating the internet. He did take the initiative in spearheading the legislation that allows there to be an internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was legislation that "allowed" the internet to happen?

lolololololololololol

stop trying to make excuses for him, he said something obviously stupid and self-serving, but its far from the worst thing a politician has said.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lol it all you want. The point remains the same. BUT FOR Al Gore we would not be typing on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Al Gore's dad. I get what you are saying but just because the guy played a role in shaping the future of some thing does not mean he invented that thing or created that thing. Its pretty tough to come to the conclusion that Al Gore wasn't just kind of bragging and exaggerating. It isn't quite the damning punchline that some people want it to be but it isn't exactly a 100% honest, legitimate comment either.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]
No it is not semantics to say he took the initiative in creating the internet. He did take the initiative in spearheading the legislation that allows there to be an internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

stop trying to make excuses for him, he said something obviously stupid and self-serving, but its far from the worst thing a politician has said.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lol it all you want. The point remains the same. BUT FOR Al Gore we would not be typing on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're joking, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

As he clarified earlier, we would be posting on perhaps a similar, but still different, internet forum. I think he's probably right, but you can replace "Al Gore" with probably several thousand other people and have it still be true.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto Al Gore's dad. I get what you are saying but just because the guy played a role in shaping the future of some thing does not mean he invented that thing or created that thing. Its pretty tough to come to the conclusion that Al Gore wasn't just kind of bragging and exaggerating. It isn't quite the damning punchline that some people want it to be but it isn't exactly a 100% honest, legitimate comment either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question simply stated is, is it accurate statement fo him to say that. My position is that it is accurate in the same way that if Chris Matthews were to say tonight that Jack Kennedy was instrumental in creating space travel. IS it the best phrased sentance of course not, that isnot the question. The question is if it is accurate, and the bright line answer is yes it is.

To say for examply he was instrumental in creating the environment for what would become the internet is possibly better phrased, but that is an indiotic and childish semantical argument.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:18 PM

The idea of "creating" is the problem here. Most of the time I hear this misquoted as "invented." He did nothing technical to develop the actual structure of the internet, but he did support funding much of the development, which can perhaps be called "creating". In that sense, he did help create. I have a big problem with the idea that he took "the initiative," however, as if the internet/ARPAnet hadn't already been in development 8 years before gore took office.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like any reasonist should do in such a situation, an opinion should be formend on the majority opinion of the experts, this is not only ohow are democracy works but civilization through the ages.

[/ QUOTE ]
No thanks, I prefer to think for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absolutely terrible life strategy, but I hope it works out well for you the next time you....oh I don't know, leave the house. Actually, scratch that, what do you know about architecture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the majority consensus expert opinion is often wrong (I did NOT say ALWAYS). Appealing to 'majority expert opinion' as proof for the thing you are contending is true is a convenient, yet dangerous business. In time, you might look foolish. So it pays to keep an open mind. These guys did:

And ... countless other 'non-consensus thinkers.'

And they did it all without appeal to the 'majority opinion of the experts' of the day to posit their theories, in fact they flew in the face of it, the ignorant bastards!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like any reasonist should do in such a situation, an opinion should be formend on the majority opinion of the experts, this is not only ohow are democracy works but civilization through the ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absolutely terrible life strategy, but I hope it works out well for you the next time you....oh I don't know, leave the house. Actually, scratch that, what do you know about architecture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the majority consensus expert opinion is often wrong (I did NOT say ALWAYS). Appealing to 'majority expert opinion' as proof for the thing you are contending is true is a convenient, yet dangerous business. In time, you might look foolish. So it pays to keep an open mind. These guys did:

And they did it all without appeal to the 'majority opinion of the experts' of the day to posit their theories, in fact they flew in the face of it, the ignorant bastards!

[/ QUOTE ]

All are experts in their field, try again later.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All are experts in their field, try again later.

[/ QUOTE ]

AHhhh .... but that is not what you said.
[ QUOTE ]
an opinion should be formend on the majority opinion of the experts[/b].

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not pictured: the millions of guys who did this and were wrong. On a poker forum, I am a little surprised to even have to be making this argument. Sometimes your aces are going to get cracked, fine. But using, as a general life strategy, "I will find things out for myself and refuse to trust expert opinion" is so ridiculously -EV.

EDIT: Actually, an even better point. This list of guys makes my point EXACTLY. In order to legitimately refuse to accept the majority opinion, you NEED to devote your entire life to figuring out the truth of some position. Einstein still probably listened to his doctor or his mechanic. I would be willing to bet that Einstein accepted expert opinion 99% of the time. Just not on one (or a few) topics. The ones he dedicated his life to studying. If you are saying you are willing to dedicate your entire life to finding out the truth about global warming, reject away! It probably wont even take your entire life. But it will absolutely take a HUGE amount of time. If you are unwilling to commit this much time, then you really need to just believe the experts (or refuse to take a position if thats feasible, which it is in a lot of instances like evolution but it probably isn't wrt global warming.)