Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Beckham Officially Done with Real Madrid

this is a good post and I want to break this down

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from finances, what do you think Beckham's impact will be on the game in the United States?

My opinion is that this will help interest in soccer, but there are other things that could definitely help more. I think the best things to happen for long-term development would be for the US to win the World Cup or for a US player (particularly a black player) to win the Golden Boot or become the leading scorer for a really popular club team such as Manchester United.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that becks' impact will be on the marketing and hopefully making the league more viable to the american public. He is a star name that many americans know about whether they follow football or not. This can bring more awareness and hopefully bring on more viewers. I am skeptical however that it would turn into just a short term spike if the league doesn't become more fun to watch

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not convinced that signing aging European players is the best direction for MLS to take, although clearly Beckham is one of a kind.

I think the only player that could possibly come close to Beckham in terms of marketing is Ronaldhino, and that's a strech.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I've said numerous times that the real way forward for the MLS is through spending on talented younger players from non-traditional places. the MLS needs to become a power in the Western Hemisphere and become the main league to play for. The MLS needs to get involved with teh Copa Libertatores and CONCACAF and CONMEBOL need to work together to really form a Pan-American club and national team competition. It would work out great for the US, and I can garuntee you that tons of South American players would love to play in the US for games. It would create a lot more interest across both of the americas and I can see very few negatives in it and tons of positives

Beckham's marketing though is massive for the MLS. It will bring awareness across teh globe and it could also mean that the MLS will hopefully have more money and really try to make a dent in the asian market. Beckham is a god there. This is probably one of the biggest reasons for the MLS putting in such a big move to get him

[ QUOTE ]
For anyone who says Becks wouldn't be the best player in the MLS, specifically who is better? Without looking at the marketing angle, I still think that he will be the most talented player in the league.

Who could you possibly suggest is better? Taylor Twellman, who wasn't even picked (shockingly) to the US roster? Landon Donnavan, who has bombed out multiple times in Germany?

[/ QUOTE ]

on face value he's probably the best in the league. Dwayne DeRosario and Clint Dempsey are two great players in the league too. We'll have to see what impact he has on the pitch when he does play

[ QUOTE ]
What are the biggest obstacles to the US becoming an elite soccer country?

The US has made a ton of progress. Whereas from 1954-1986 the US didn't qualify for a single World Cup, they are a virtual lock to do so every year now and have at least equaled Mexico for North American supremacy. The US is at the point where they should expect to beat everyone at home in their region and can no longer be happy with merely coming close to winning or drawing on the road to even Mexico.

That being said, if you look at individual players, I don't think the US has anybody close to being considered an elite world-class talent (like best 50 or 100 players in the world).

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really the biggest question right here. The MLS really needs IMO youth teams and the USSF really has to overhual their entire youth development program. This also lends itself to the MLS into trying to develop world class players. The way forward is also through the inner city and impoverished neighborhoods. If the MLS and the USSF can market Eddie Johnson and CLint Dempsey right, then you may have something going on there and it would encourage other boys to play soccer instead of basketball possibly.

We know that as long as we stay as is, we will pretty much qualify for every world cup, but I don't think that can even be close to satisfactory. We won't win a world cup in the next 12 years, but we have to try to work on making it so that over the next 20 years that we can consistently make the quarters and have teams that can logically have a shot at the WC

also, we do have one player that may possibly be world class, its all a matter of us throwing the kitchen sink at him to want to play for us, and that is Giuseppe Rossi. He had said that Arena had showed him no intrest in the past, and that is a massive mistake IMO. We need to make his dicision tough for him so that he doesn't play for Italy. If we can get him to play for us, he could be that spark to really get americans intrested in at least the national team

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with Beasley and Howard being loaned out this year, there isn't a single American playing in the Champions League and only a few playing in the Premier League.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that you're right. What we need to do is get more players playing in europe. If it means lessenening the MLS, then so be it. THe national team's performance should be concentrated on first. The MLS just needs to be very fun to watch on a game in game out basis. Good games happen in the MLS, but not frequently enough

[ QUOTE ]
Also, do you think college soccer is a good avenue (with all its restrictions) for the long-term development of the game in the United States?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, college soccer is on its deathbed to be honest. All of the best players right now on the National Team have either spent no time in college soccer or very little. College Soccer doesn't prepare players at all for being professionals and it is very sloppy and brooding. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing college soccer as we know it to die. The way forward is for youth teams attached to the MLS clubs and a better scouting network to identify talented players, and concentrate on finding good on the ball players and playmaker types
Old 01-11-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's just not that entertaining to watch compared to dribblers or long-range shooters.

[/ QUOTE ]

his most famous goal is from half field.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

By long-range shooters I meant forwards and midfielders who regularly crack 20-25 yrd kicks that force big saves (or go in). They're more spectacular in the run of play than free kicks.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:03 AM

well....this is certainly the biggest story of the month.

Interestingly, I was reading some comments on the BBC's website about this move. Quite interesting stuff. Half the comments were immensely supportive of him. Most of these were actually wishing him the best here in the US. The other half, well sounded like disgruntled bitter fans. I am not surprised by the angry comments. In fact, stuff like this is expected when you are talking about sports. What amazes me is how nice so many people are to him. People in the UK must really like this guy. I think I may have had the wrong impression of him.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:07 AM

In other big news, Ronaldo is now certainly leaving Real Madrid during this transfer window. Both are huge stories.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In other big news, Ronaldo is now certainly leaving Real Madrid during this transfer window. Both are huge stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly you mean this story is huge because Ronaldo is a fatass.

Any word on where he's off to? I thought I heard Inter a while back.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Where's he headed? I actually don't want to see him here.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 AM

According to Marca there are two offers, one from a Saudi team (Al-Ittihad), another from an unnamed European team that is not Italian.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:17 AM

English team????? Charlton???? LMAO!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's just not that entertaining to watch compared to dribblers or long-range shooters.

[/ QUOTE ]

his most famous goal is from half field.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

By long-range shooters I meant forwards and midfielders who regularly crack 20-25 yrd kicks that force big saves (or go in). They're more spectacular in the run of play than free kicks.

[/ QUOTE ]
His goal from his own side of midfield wasn't a free kick.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

also, we do have one player that may possibly be world class, its all a matter of us throwing the kitchen sink at him to want to play for us, and that is Giuseppe Rossi. He had said that Arena had showed him no intrest in the past, and that is a massive mistake IMO. We need to make his dicision tough for him so that he doesn't play for Italy. If we can get him to play for us, he could be that spark to really get americans intrested in at least the national team

[/ QUOTE ]

Rossi has already played for the Italians Under 16,17,19 and 21 year old sides. He desires to play on Italy's National Team (and who can blame him?) It doesn't appear likely that he would change his mind and play for the USA.