Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Things that are negotiable in price that you didn\'t realize...

there is negotiation room whenever the salesman stands to make a commission
Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread just saved me over $200 at Best Buy. <3

[/ QUOTE ]
a trip report would be much appreciated

EDIT: nevermind just saw your next post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My brother used to buy all the stuff they put on the end of the rows at wal-mart and Target, apparently this is their overstock stuff, and they will accept almost any offer if you agree to get it off their hands

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by "end of the rows?" You just mean the desks and stuff that is on the outermost part on display or...?

Or like if they have chairs at the end of the aisle that are marked something...Do I just find an employee and ask for a manager or what?
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know if car insurance can be negotiated? what tactics should I use to negotiate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. Emphasize things like the fact that you live close to your work, and give low estimates on expected milage per year. When I got my own car insurance this year, I mentioned I was a graduate student, and lived 7 minutes from school. They dropped from my old rate of 250 (car used to be under my dad's name) to 150/month
Old 10-10-2006, 12:10 AM

best oot thread ever. also negotiable are rent prices. pay up front in cash, i have saved thousands this way.
-James
Old 10-10-2006, 12:18 AM

sweet thread, thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 12:38 AM

I negotiated down a $200 air conditioner to $160. Also I've gotten breaks on suits, shoes, and nice clothes. I haven't bought jewelry but its another obvious category.

Generally anything that I've been willing to take the time to shop around has been negotiable. Just tell the salesperson you are checking it (or similar items) out at other places and ask them what their best price is. In the case of the air conditioner I asked the local store if they were willing to match the Home Depot internet price.

Also anything that you are buying in size or anywhere you frequently shop at is a good idea.

But I do just pay the hot dog man the list price.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I negotiated down a $200 air conditioner to $160. Also I've gotten breaks on suits, shoes, and nice clothes. I haven't bought jewelry but its another obvious category.

Generally anything that I've been willing to take the time to shop around has been negotiable. Just tell the salesperson you are checking it (or similar items) out at other places and ask them what their best price is. In the case of the air conditioner I asked the local store if they were willing to match the Home Depot internet price.

Also anything that you are buying in size or anywhere you frequently shop at is a good idea.

But I do just pay the hot dog man the list price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I rarely haggle (haven't really bought any big ticket items yet...a lot of my furnishings are great deals on like-new stuff from craigslist), but my A/C at the local store was my most successful attempt. Started around $250...got it to around $200. Then I asked "What if I pay cash" and the final price was $180.

Along the lines of rent, broker's commission is even easier sometimes. Even a horrible haggler can get 15% down to 10% or 12% down to 8% with minimal effort.

I'd be interested to hear from the person who wrote "plane tickets". Hotel rooms was also a bit of a surprise to me, especially since I work for a hotel company [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would think upgrades or a free breakfast or something would be fairly doable for a good haggler; never thought about trying to get x% off the rate, though.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:41 AM

No one has said loan/mortgage/refinancing interest rates yet. Definitely negotiable. The loan officer will ALWAYS charge you the absolute highest rate that he thinks you will not walk away from. Just say the words that you are going to shop the loan rate around and watch the interest rate drop. Does not matter what your credit situation looks like at all.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:57 AM

Hotel rooms ALWAYS negotiate the price... I rarely pay list price. Just say you've found another one for $xx price, can you match it. They will come down to the minimum they're authorized to offer (assuming you lowballed them enough), and it's yours to take or leave... pretty standard.