Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Al Gore receives Nobel Peace Prize

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like any reasonist should do in such a situation, an opinion should be formend on the majority opinion of the experts, this is not only ohow are democracy works but civilization through the ages.

[/ QUOTE ]
No thanks, I prefer to think for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an absolutely terrible life strategy, but I hope it works out well for you the next time you....oh I don't know, leave the house. Actually, scratch that, what do you know about architecture?
Old 10-13-2007, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like any reasonist should do in such a situation, an opinion should be formend on the majority opinion of the experts, this is not only ohow are democracy works but civilization through the ages.

[/ QUOTE ]
No thanks, I prefer to think for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take the Earth is flat and the center of the universe then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it was the masses that thought the earth was flat, and one man stood up to them. thanks for proving his point genius.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. But anyway, it would be pretty difficult for you to come to the conclusion that the Earth is round without taking some book or experts opinion for it at some point. Probably not impossible, depending on how much time you really wanted to commit to it, but certainly very difficult. I would be willing to bet just about anything that you did NOT come to hold the view that the Earth is round(-ish) without accepting the word of experts.

Now imagine the amount of work it would take to decide, like, two issues.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like any reasonist should do in such a situation, an opinion should be formend on the majority opinion of the experts

[/ QUOTE ]

Combining two fallacies does not create a logical conclusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

? your statement makes no sense.

In order for their to be a logical conclusion you need 2 things:
1. A true premise
2. A valid argument relatted to the premise argument

If so the conclusion must be true. So are you saying thatforming an opnion is a logical fallacy? Combined with using expert opinion to form that opinion is the second logical fallacy. So both are false premises?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that you should not form opinions on the basis of logical fallacies. It is illogical to do so. In this case, the logical fallacies would be appeals to majority and appeals to authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appeal to authority is not a logical fallacy. At least, not always. There is such a thing as a FALLACIOUS appeal to authority, maybe thats what you had in mind.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:00 PM

Roland32
[ QUOTE ]
No it is not semantics to say he took the initiative in creating the internet. He did take the initiative in spearheading the legislation that allows there to be an internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was legislation that "allowed" the internet to happen?

lolololololololololol

stop trying to make excuses for him, he said something obviously stupid and self-serving, but its far from the worst thing a politician has said.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]
No it is not semantics to say he took the initiative in creating the internet. He did take the initiative in spearheading the legislation that allows there to be an internet.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

stop trying to make excuses for him, he said something obviously stupid and self-serving, but its far from the worst thing a politician has said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't particularly care one way or the other about Al Gore, but I think a lot of the energy driving the "apologists" comes from the perceived gross overreaction of the "haters." It seems like there were a whole bunch of people that really, really hated Al Gore and they decided this was a perfect opportunity, and so they went crazy overboard on it. Plus its a stupid comment to make just because the topic has to be about Al Gore. It is very similar, IMO, to people who just constantly post "Mission accomplished LOL" whenever the discussion is about GW and they have nothing to say.

Just to be clear I'm not saying most of the people in this thread are "haters," some of you are just making legitimate arguments about why what he said was wrong. This is more of a general comment.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't particularly care one way or the other about Al Gore, but I think a lot of the energy driving the "apologists" comes from the perceived gross overreaction of the "haters." It seems like there were a whole bunch of people that really, really hated Al Gore and they decided this was a perfect opportunity, and so they went crazy overboard on it. Plus its a stupid comment to make just because the topic has to be about Al Gore. It is very similar, IMO, to people who just constantly post "Mission accomplished LOL" whenever the discussion is about GW and they have nothing to say.

Just to be clear I'm not saying most of the people in this thread are "haters," some of you are just making legitimate arguments about why what he said was wrong. This is more of a general comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why the statement is repeated so often is because:
1.) Its pretty funny
2.) It "confirms" a bias that Al Gore is a dweeb.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why the statement is repeated so often is because:
1.) Its pretty funny
2.) It "confirms" a bias that Al Gore is a dweeb.

[/ QUOTE ]

And its easy. Which is probably just as important as any of the other ones. The reason "Mission accomplished!" is repeated so often:

1. It is funny in a tragic way
2. It confirms GW is kind of a tool.

But its still lame. Because its so easy and for the most part irrelevant. There really isn't much role for "Al Gore invented the internet LOLZ" in every discussion about Al Gore, just like there is no place for "Mission accomplished derrrrrr" in every thread about Bush. They are both signs that the person using them is kind of a hack. They are funny from time to time if used correctly, but that is seldom the case.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that appeals to those more educated than you in those specific areas is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an excuse to not think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you actually believe an individual can actually know everything there is to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange considering I said nothing remotely close to that.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My point is that appeals to those more educated than you in those specific areas is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an excuse to not think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me like you actually believe an individual can actually know everything there is to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange considering I said nothing remotely close to that.

[/ QUOTE ]
strange considering I can also state the I said nothing remotely close to that.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roland32
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lolololololololololol

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lol it all you want. The point remains the same. BUT FOR Al Gore we would not be typing on this forum.