Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Is not believing in gay rights biggoted?

Marriage in this country is defined as being with one man and one woman. It's the same for everybody, straight, gay, polygamist, or any kind of freak that wants to marry someone or something. Is marriage a right? I don't think it's a right in our constitution, but I'll check again.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have nothing against gay people personally, but I have the right to not want to pay (through taxes) for something that I find to be immoral. If that is not obvious to you, there are some larger issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol this post is quite funny. I can't recall having heard this line of reasoning before.

If you could elaborate I would be incredibly grateful. I'm gonna smoke a bowl and I assure you I would really appreciate an in-depth analysis of this by the time I get back.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you seriously trying to convince me that you think a straight couple adopting in a conservative society leads to the same amount of self-esteem or abuse problems as a gay couple?

If so, I don't think I can argue that opinion. I can just say I really don't think so. I don't have any facts or statistics to back up my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing we don't need to rely on opinions.

Children of Same-Sex Couples Do as Well as Other Children
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 PM

That links to a website where you have to register. Care to replicate it's contents so I don't have more spam in my inbox?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:08 PM

I would imagine that the contents would say that children of same-sex couples do as well as other children.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only read the first 20 posts or so, but its one thing to support gay marriage, that I can understand, but to call someone who doesn't (around half of this country to my knowledge) a bigot is just ignorant. I have nothing against gay people personally, but I have the right to not want to pay (through taxes) for something that I find to be immoral. If that is not obvious to you, there are some larger issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, if you're going to go that route, the only logical conclusion is to remove government from the marriage business entirely.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what do you say to the little girl who wants to ask her mom about her first muenstral cycle...oh wait she has two dads. I'm not anti gay I'm pro children. BTW i'm not really against gay marriage, it's the adoption I have a problem with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow this might be the dumbest logic i have ever heard. so if a little girl's mom dies we should take her away from the dad because he cant teach her correct woman things? get a clue [censored].
Old 04-16-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That links to a website where you have to register. Care to replicate it's contents so I don't have more spam in my inbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange. If Google is the referer, they let you in, but 2+2 == no go. Sorry about that.

Here is a Web MD article on the same research at Tufts.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So i just got into a huge fight with my mother over gay rights. Basically she is a typical conservative, and i of course am not. She believes that allowing gays to marry would decrease family values in the Us, and therefore ruin the society fabric of a "family". I told her that adding a title and a few rights (such as tax benefits and insurance sharing for couples) would not have an impact at all on straight families. The same number of people will be gay, regardless. I proceeded to say that i felt that not believing in equal rights for gays and straight couples was bigotted. Of course she was angry and hung up on me. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Moms hanging up on their kids for differences of beliefs are childish. Your mom is still a child in some ways. So that puts you in the position of parent. This is not the last time it will happen, and I'd be surprised if it were the first.

Don't take it too hard. It's not your job to make everyone happy, even your mom.

Some people are limited. Be glad you're not. That's progress through the generations, and something to be thankful for. Many families don't get there, or even go backward morally or intellectually or both. Now you have something to pass along to your children that your mother did not. With luck, the chain will keep on going. Just be good spirited and forgiving that there are some things your mother will probably never quite get right. That's okay. You can still love each other and get along.

The hanging up on each other thing, though, has got to go. I hope you get an apology. That isn't good between family.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should call her up tomorrow and tell her you are gay and see how she reacts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure this would result in a complete breakdown. Telling them i played poker for a living was bad enough. If i was gay that converstion would be a complete disaster lol...

[/ QUOTE ]

Then tell her your boyfriend is, but you're not. What a relief!
Closed Thread